Best areas for youth baseball?

My dad and I have been discussing moving to an area where baseball is more important than football (like the area I live in). My dad is 60 and still works (a graphic designer), but he’s looking at finding an area where he can work and I can play ball. We are currently looking at Georgia - and the new baseball complex near Atlanta called LakePoint.
If you had a son that loved baseball and you could live anywhere in the USA, where would that be?

San Diego.
That more to do with my love of San Diego than anything. Warm weather year round makes a difference.
I don’t like the snow either. High where I live was 102 today with thunder, rain and a chance of hail in the early evening.
San Diego is boring but it is a warm, balmy boring weather wise.
Plenty off baseball too.

I’d put California, Arizona, Florida and Louisiana all on the list. Tough to say which is best, but the warm weather states definitely give baseball players there a leg up for year-round baseball, especially position players.

I agree totally with the warm weather suggestions here. Absolutely.

On the other hand, I’m from a generation where dedication and deliberate mentoring, regardless where someone lives, is paramount. But granted, it’s hard to beat a physical environment that works in your favor more often than not.

However –

I live in Springfield, Massachusetts where the weather doesn’t play favorites, baseball wise. On the other hand, there is a sport here that’s light years ahead of baseball with respect to a work ethic, dedication and endurance.

That sport is hockey. Sure, it’s played inside for the most part, but the mental and physical demands are beyond the simple amateur mindset of youth athletics. Ice time can require a youngster and his/her family to be up and out of bed, shower and breakfast – all before dawn. Then, on the ice and ready to learn and burn at 5a.m. Ice time after school or after some other time in the p.m. The coaches in this sport are not on-again off-again volunteers because their son or daughter happens to be there. These people live hockey, almost to a religion.

So, my suggestion would be, no matter where you live, what the weather is like, you can always prioritize your learning and abilities with careful planning. During the off season, learn the game, study its disciplines and rules, understand position players and why they’re there, time and distance relationships, batting order logic, equipment requirements, field dimensions and the diamond’s layout, fair and foul exceptions on a play, how to put the ball in play or keep it out of play, and so on. During the preseason and prime season take notes of everything that draws your interest and learn by observation. Personalize your diet and stick to it. Hammer the books and acquire those academic honors that’ll open all kinds of doors for you.

In the early days of professional baseball, the men that we respect today didn’t all come from the balmy breezes of the West Coast and below the Mason-Dixon Line. These men practiced their trade constantly because it was a way out of a life in the factories and fields.

If you and your family get a chance, watch a few amateur youth games in the New York Central Park Leagues. (I think they’re still called that.) You’ll see ball there that’ll definitely make you sit up and take notice. Come to think of it, I made a decent living grazing that area and addressed some pretty good talent.