Best Age to join College recruiting sites

A freind and I wanted to know when we should join College recruiting sites, I have been saying Freshman year, he says Junior year. What age (or highschool year) would be the best?

That ultimately, it doesn’t matter. You play your way onto college radars. You don’t market yourself on them.

We aren’t trying to market ourselves, We realize that we aren’t the top 100 in the nation, and in reality we probably won’t be. We go do a school that really isn’t a good baseball school but we stay for the academics, so in reality, no college scouts will come look at us for the school. And we are definetally NOT going to pay hundreds of dollars to go to a showcase camp.

So the only thing that we can do, is let college scouts know that we are out there by using these recruiting sites.

there are so many college recruiting web sites, and so many people are on them that it reduces their credibility. personally i think they are a waste of time.

I just committed to playing for a D3 school after using BeRecruited.com. I had no real contact with coaches before the service, but I received legitimate interest (not just form email on how their season is going and an invite to an expensive camp) from dozens of programs in the following 6-9 months. For high profile athletes, its probably not necessary. For the average player going to D3 or smaller D2, it can be very useful. I would recommend starting before your junior season.
These services are well overpriced though. You can do most of the work yourself by getting phone # of coaches and calling them. Also, having some website that has video of you and academic, athletic, and physical details helps.

I can’t say whether the site works or not, but there’s a reason the MLB draft is 50 rounds. You don’t have to be top 100 or even 500 talent to be drafted. Pitch well, pitch smart, stay healthy and you easily could be scouted. Otherwise there are MLB tryout camps that cost no money. There’s about 10-20 of them every summer around the country.

Yes, but pitching is getting alot more compenitive, the average pither they are recruiting from Highschools are throwing high 80’s-mid 90’s. Average players who throw in the mid-high 80’ get overlooked alot, than adding that I go to a school that DOESNT have a good baseball team, no one is going to come see the team to scout it’s players unless someone gets on a site and says “Hey I’m out there and I want to play baseball!”

That is why I say joining a recruiting site is good.

[quote=“Austin#34”]Yes, but pitching is getting alot more compenitive, the average pither they are recruiting from Highschools are throwing high 80’s-mid 90’s. Average players who throw in the mid-high 80’ get overlooked alot, than adding that I go to a school that DOESNT have a good baseball team, no one is going to come see the team to scout it’s players unless someone gets on a site and says “Hey I’m out there and I want to play baseball!”

That is why I say joining a recruiting site is good.[/quote]

how good your school is really has nothing to do with how scouts come recruit you.

Just make a YouTube video and email college coaches with some information about yourself and the link. Recruiting websites do the same thing/ less

I’ve seen the marketing process get kids a look they may not have gotten, or a closer look - i.e. personal tryout. Doesn’t replace talent, but it matters.

My son’s going to a prospect camp this winter before he’ll even have an opportunity to throw his first HS pitch. Our expectation isn’t that they are going to fall in love with him. It’s a couple days on a college campus, being around their athletes and hearing the expectations of their coaches. He’ll be getting an up close look at other pitchers. Maybe he’ll learn a thing or two and hopefully have some fun.

This feels like the right time. I think it also eases the pressure and any anxiety later on and hopefully keeps him focused on having fun and getting better. Can’t lie though - if he happens to turn a head or two, that’d be cool.

[quote=“Austin#34”]Yes, but pitching is getting alot more compenitive, the average pither they are recruiting from Highschools are throwing high 80’s-mid 90’s. Average players who throw in the mid-high 80’ get overlooked alot, than adding that I go to a school that DOESNT have a good baseball team, no one is going to come see the team to scout it’s players unless someone gets on a site and says “Hey I’m out there and I want to play baseball!”

You are saying that the average speed these kids are throwing is 95mph lol. I really, really doubt that dude.

[quote=“BarryBonds999”][quote=“Austin#34”]Yes, but pitching is getting alot more compenitive, the average pither they are recruiting from Highschools are throwing high 80’s-mid 90’s. Average players who throw in the mid-high 80’ get overlooked alot, than adding that I go to a school that DOESNT have a good baseball team, no one is going to come see the team to scout it’s players unless someone gets on a site and says “Hey I’m out there and I want to play baseball!”

You are saying that the average speed these kids are throwing is 95mph lol. I really, really doubt that dude.[/quote]

i really doubt that’s the average, but there are freaks of nature that can do that lol. theres a kid in my league in Canada 16u that throws 86. although most throw around 70-75