Best 2nd position for a pitcher?

For High School age players, what fielder’s position is best for a pitcher’s off day, and why? What positions would you not want your pitcher(s) to play?

Hose

I enjoyed playing outfield mainly because I enjoyed running down baseballs and being able to potentially throw people out…

It depends upon your strengths… I’m a speed demon and have a strong arm, hence why I played outfield when not pitching…

You always hear that it’s P/SS that they look for, but the quandry is the day/game after a start. My son is a ss/p and we just work his program (running and post start activities). He usually throws a cg so day after and day after that he’ll field but not throw. 1b would be great if that is one of his skills (Lefties got this one on us).

[quote=“hoseman18”]For High School age players, what fielder’s position is best for a pitcher’s off day, and why? What positions would you not want your pitcher(s) to play?

Hose[/quote]

It all depends on the workload.

If you can really swing it DH.

Easiest position on the field to give you the most amount of rest is 1B, not a lot of work for your arm to play there, but it keeps you active and moving, and helps with your fielding ability.

2B would probably be the next best place to get a rest, gives your arm a nice little workout and you get to move around more then if you were at 1B.

I wouldn’t want the be an OF the day after I pitched, but again it depends on the workload.

SS/3B again depends on the workload

Wouldn’t want to be behind that plate, that’s too much throwing. If you really think about it we get all bent out of shape about pitch couts, what about the Catcher? (I had this talk with a Catcher a few years ago, very interesting to see thier point of view) He doesn’t really get a break. Most Coaches want their Catcher to throw that ball back sharp and on a line each and everytime to their Pitchers, then if someone tries to steal…

Just my :twocents:

1b works if the coach structures the practices correctly, but some coaches run an infield practice where the 1st baseman throws more than any other player.