Bent over or standing tall?

When pitching do you want to be bent over or standing tall?

I guess I’m referring two when the pitcher is at his balance point.

randy johnson is bent over
nolan ryan is straight up

i think it all depends on the pitcher

whatever is comfortable with you

Find a posture that you have the core strength to maintain through your delivery. That will help eliminate unnecessary head movement and other unwanted postural changes.

I’d rather see pitchers bending slightly from the start and then thrust your chest out in the ‘high cocked position’ a la Mike Mussina:

Do whatever suits you, but my pitching coach told me to be up straight but have your shoulders relaxed at the balance point.

I don’t think Johnson’s a great example because of his, for lack of a better word, unorthodox style of pitching (I mean the guy’s 6’ 10"), but Goggles offers a good example in Moose.

However, the clip that Goggles put up doesn’t show the balance point, but rather just after it. Dan Haren would be a good example because of his long set there.

There is no balance point.

ok I would like to know when the pitcher has his hands together and his front leg is lifted up to waist height, is the pitchers back straight or bent?

also, on the leg lift does it have to be at waist height or higher?

[quote=“thunderdevil”]ok I would like to know when the pitcher has his hands together and his front leg is lifted up to waist height, is the pitchers back straight or bent?

also, on the leg lift does it have to be at waist height or higher?[/quote]

The back leg bends while the front leg reaches its highest point. See the difference below.

At peak leg lift, the back “hunches” and will arch out into landing. This arching of the back is a result of scap loading and thrusting the hips open. Look at the Mussina clip above and see him arch his back into landing.