Ben Sheets 2010

Here is the video from mlb.com

http://mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100120&content_id=7941714

Clips of him pitching, plus interview.

If anyone could make a slow-mo from one of the nice angles, that would be great. Even better if someone would put a similar angle of him from past years for comparison.

The video is courtesy of mlb network, Harold Reynolds did the comparison in a diamond demo. He felt that his mechanics were the same except for his arm being slightly behind at foot plant but he felt that that should speed up as he starts throwing harder again.

Hope it helps.

I’ll be honest I think Sheets’ arm action looks more fluid than before it may be a little behind like Reynolds stated but it looks more smooth.

His follow through is pretty ugly in the last pic, and he tilts the hell out of his head upon releasing the ball. I suspect those are two areas he needs to fix moving forward in 2010, cause as you see his location in the last pic is off.

The head tilt puts an unecessary strain on the throwing arm shoulder. If he can fix that I think he’ll get on top of the ball more and maybe be more durable and reliable. The only reason I bring this up is from my own son’s recent experience.

his follow through is ugly…I would never give this guy a deal over 2 years.

My guess is that he ends up with Oakland.

Also, there is no way he fixes that head tilt. I’d bet my bank account on it.

I’d have to agree that it is unlikely the head tilt will go away. Just based on Dinoson’s struggles, he can correct it somewhat in the bullpen but when getting into game situations the challenge of multi-tasking in that environment is too much. BTW I’d bet Hammer’s bank account on that too… :twisted:

I’d have to agree that it is unlikely the head tilt will go away. Just based on Dinoson’s struggles, he can correct it somewhat in the bullpen but when getting into game situations the challenge of multi-tasking in that environment is too much. BTW I’d bet Hammer’s bank account on that too… :twisted:[/quote]

It’s on! Bank it! It’s just that sheets has thrown millions of pitches in a particular fashion. Dinoson would have a much better chance to fix this issue than Sheets.

Just a thought to throw out. I heard somewhere that Sheets has a horrible diet, something bout how he eats almost all fast-food. This could be the cause of his injuries, since he wouldn’t really recover as well. I agree that he should maybe lower his arm slot, but I mean he has pretty good control with his overhand arm slot.

yes i agree with ugly followthrough.

Tim Lincecum / Hideo Nomo during the release point , the head is also tilt

i think there is common things for these players:

Chad Billingsley, Ben Sheet, Rich Harden , Jered Weaver

their arm swing hand, swing too over and point that ball to 1st base

and when the ball raise up , during the perfect timing, shoud be behind the head, but they end up behind the left ear or behind the left shouder

this is what i observe,

(i know a guy who break his shouder with his kind of arm swing)