Ben F Pitching Video

My currently 12 year old son Ben is returning to pitching after a bout of little league shoulder. He took 8 weeks off with no throwing and has just completed his return to throwing program over the last 5 weeks. This video is from the last step of the program.

I would appreciate any feedback on what he can work on if he gets back on the mound this year.

His mechanics are stellar if not perfect. I wouldn’t tweak anything mechanically. Just make sure you stretch properly, eat the right foods, and workout to get a bit stronger. I don’t know how much long toss he throws, but I would limit him to about 120 ft. Long toss puts a lot of stress on the arm, it doesn’t help arm strength at all, and it can lead to control problems. The sky is the limit for this kid.

Thanks for the feedback. I welcome more from everyone.

He used to break his hands with his elbows, almost with a inverted or horizontal W. He has changed from that to what you see now. I think he kind of imitates Kershaw’s leg lift and lowering his free foot before driving forward. I wonder if he is giving up velocity this way. It also looks like his low glove position blocks his leg lift from going higher, although I don’t know how much that affects his pitches. He lands on the heel of his free foot instead of the ball of the foot. How much does that affect him?

Right now we are focusing on conditioning and mechanics before he gets back on the mound. His long toss was up to 120 feet, but not a lot of throws at that distance. The longest throws have just been part of outfield defensive work and those are relatively few in number. He was able to throw out some runners tagging up from 3rd from mid right field during his last practice. The rest of his long toss is probably around 100 feet. He continues to do shoulder band exercises every time he throws. He (and I) need to work on nutrition, but that is a difficult battle because he a picky eater.

Yeah just keep doing what he’s doing and he’ll be fine

Ben saw his first pitching action of the year last night. He came in in relief in the top of the 6th with 2 outs, runners on 1st and 2nd. We were down by 5, so it was a mostly lost cause that made for a low pressure situation for him to start shaking off the rust. He only threw 6 pitches (2 balls and 4 strikes) to 2 batters. He gave up a weak seeing eye single to the first batter and the second laid down a good bunt and Ben made a great bare handed grab on the bouncing ball down the third base line and threw the batter/runner out at first. The single was on a knuckleball where he missed the sign because it was dark. The KB is better controlled than his CU right now. I thought he did well considering he wasn’t expecting to pitch and only got his 8 warm-up pitches and had to throw everything from the stretch. His velocity does seem down a bit, but that is to be expected with having so much time off.

I think the challenge will be how to work in some much needed bullpens while saving his arm for some possible game action. We play a tournament this weekend and drew what appear to be weaker teams for pool play. Maybe he will get an inning or 2 in one of those games.

I am still looking for additional feedback if anyone else has had a chance to look at his videos.

He rotates his hips too soon and could use some more leg drive- just like most kids his age BTW. He could lengthen his stride but that needs to come from rear leg drive pushing him further and faster down the mound.

2022, when you say he rotates his hips too soon, I ask too soon relative to what? I need to be able to explain this to him properly.

Sorry, I should have said shoulders too soon. His shoulders and hips are moving as a unit rather than being separated, led by the hips turning.

OK, that makes more sense. Any tips on how to teach better separation?

Hello just to say work on the timming per example looks at 0:33 he is landing on his heel and he needs to land on his front inside part of his landing foot and the other thing is work on with his throwing arm position,needs to be at 90• angle at the time his landing feet touch the ground and showing the ball to the 3rd base side…work on good luck!!

He definitely lands heel first. We have fought this for a while. What is more important, the timing of any part of his foot touching the ground or when the foot becomes weighted? There really is no weight on his foot when the heel first touches the ground. By the time his foot is weighted, his arm appears to be at 90° and showing the ball to 3rd. In this picture, his toes have not even hit the ground yet. I do think he should probably land with his forefoot instead of his heel, but I just wonder what is really important, the first touch or the weighting of the foot.

Pic also shows where he needs to maybe work on his glove arm and the early shoulder rotation (or lack of early hip rotation?) that 2022 talks about.

Watch his glove side as well, he needs to firm up his glove side so after release his chest should go towards the glove. He seems to have a tendancy to let his glove fly down and back after release.

I wouldn’t worry so much about the timing as his arm is cocked by the time he firms up his landing leg. The heel striking first a bit of a velocity killer but his isn’t that bad and it was pretty easy to correct in my son’s case. Have him work to show the bottom of his foot to the batter and then point his toe at the batter as he rotates the leg for landing. As for the glove, I fixed that by having my son throw BP with a brick instead of a glove. The weight of the brick gives more feedback and makes them more aware.