Being able to see faults

I am new on this site, but think it is terrific. I coach little league 9 and 10 year olds and this is my first year teaching pitching. There are some people on this site that can look at a video and know…“this is what can be improved on” and I just don’t see it. Is there certain things to look for? It is one thing trying to teach the right thing from the start it is another picking out why they are having a hard time getting the ball over the plate. I want these kids to learn properly now so it is easier later.

Thank you for all the great advice on hear

Welcome Bruno!

It’s good to hear that there are people out there that want to teach kids the newer techniques as opposed to the old, conventional wisdom.

If you hang around here for a bit you’ll quickly learn what to look for and how to go about fixing it.

My recommendation is to go into the pitching mechanics and analysis thread and watch the clips then read what people have to say.

Good advice from Offset.

Knowing what to look for takes going through a learning process. And that process is never ending. Even today I still encounter people who look at different things than I or they look at the same things but in a different way. So I continue to learn from others. You won’t be able to learn it all instantly. It will take time.

Also, there is a difference between knowing what to look for and having an eye to see things - especially in real time. Video helps level the playing field betweeen those who can and those who can’t. It can also help you develop that eye to see things because you can use it to confirm in slow motion what you think you see in real time. Or, to turn that around, you can see what’s truly happening by watching slow motion and then see what it looks like in real time.

Finally, a lot of what many folks look for is dictated by one or more of the “experts” out there (e.g. House, Nyman, Mills, etc.). These “camps” tend to focus on different things with different emphasis. Hang around of this site and you’ll pick up on some of that, too.

Welcome aboard, Bruno!
You’ll find that there are not only pitching coaches but also pitchers (mostly major leaguers) who have an uncanny ability to spot something amiss with a pitcher, being the motion or anything else that might get in the way of pitching effectively. I’d like to share two stories with you, both of them being about a guy who was not only one of the mainstays of the Yankees’ Big Three rotation years ago but also one of the finest pitching coaches anyone could hope to work with—Ed Lopat.
The first story concerns rookie Whitey Ford, who came up to the Yankees in 1950. He started a game and was lambasted from here to Timbuktu and back, with every pitch he threw being converted into a line-drive base hit; what was more, somebody was constantly yelling behind him. In the fifth inning of the game, first baseman Tommy Henrich came out to the mound and said to him, “Hey, Whitey, that first base coach is calling every pitch you’re throwing!” Whitey was flabbergasted; this was the first indication he had that he might be telegraphing his pitches! So the next day coach Jim Turner and pitcher Lopat took him into the bullpen and had him throw from the stretch. Turner was scratching his head in bewilderment, but Lopat—who had been watching Ford the previous day with a sardonic smile on his face—had spotted the problem immediately, and he told Ford what was wrong. Whitey, without being aware of it, had been positioning his hand one way for a fast ball and another way for a curve, and because he was a southpaw it was no problem for the opposing first-base coach to pick up on it. Steady Eddie showed Ford how to correct the problem.
The second story concerns me. In my playing days, many moons ago, I was a 5’4", 125-pound righthanded sidearmer with not much speed but a lot of good breaking stuff, and I was winning games. Somewhere along the line I had picked up the crossfire, and one day during one of our “curbstone consultations” I mentioned that I was using it a lot. Lopat immediately stopped me and said quietly, “Let’s see what you’re doing with it. Just go through the move.” I did so, first from the full windup and then from the stretch, and Lopat, who had this eerie way of being able to spot a problem instantly, called my attention to the fact that I was not getting quite the momentum going into it from the stretch the way I was doing from the full windup. Urp. I was stunned, and I exclaimed “Oh my gosh, I didn’t know that!” Then I had to admit that I didn’t have much occasion to work from the stretch, not as a starter anyway. Lopat looked at me and said, slowly and in a hypnotic undertone that just grabbed me and held me where I was, “You’re getting the batters out.” I couldn’t argue with him. Then he told me about a couple of things I could do to work up the speed I wanted, and I worked on them and got what I wanted—the same speed from the stretch that I had from the full windup.
Have fun. 8) :slight_smile: :baseballpitcher:

Welcome Bruno,

sometimes we see something that looks just unnatura or we see something that looks wrong, it takes a while to really get that. However since you are a coach is to watch your pitchers and judge their command and movement or ball flight. Because what works for one might not for another. Its hard to judge mechanics without seeing the ball flight.