Beginner with questions, please answer :)

Hi, i would like to have the questions i am about to ask answered, i am new at this so please bare with me, first of all i am 14, in my first year of high school, I Havn’t played baseball in a league in around 4 years. But I wanna be a pitcher, i have pretty good command and not bad volicity, I am throwing every day now

my first quesiotn is when you start throwing again (ie. right after winter) when you haven’t thrown in a long time, and your arm isnt used to it, is it usual for your arm ( your shoulder and bicept) to hurt after u throw alot?
For me it did before, i thoguht i strained my arm, and it was like after i threw just a couple of pitches my arm hurt so much i couldn’t even lift it up, right now im waiting for it to be like that because i heard that you should just keep throwing and your arm gets used to it… but then i heard you can even make it worse, whats the real answer?

And for my second, when i go for pitcher on the team, are they looking for any pitches in peticular? Is 14 too young to start throwing a curve?
Can someone tell me what pitches i should know and that isnt bad for my arm and wont ruin it?

Thats it for now… so please try to answer them, it would be really helpful, thanks :slight_smile:

I’m going to answer the first question and let some of the other moderators and forum members tackle the second.

The important thing is to recognize the difference between arm soreness and arm pain. As a “rookie” pitcher, that differentiation can be difficult to make because a good understanding about how your own arm feels comes from using it consistently, which you haven’t been doing for the past few years.

A little soreness is natural; pain is not.

My suggestion is this: take it easy. If you’re experiencing pain, talk to your coach or an athletic trainer and see if it’s because of your throwing program or because of your throwing mechanics. Arm pain that occurs during pre-season throwing stems from those two things.

Dave Motzer, ATC, our “Injury and Prevention” moderator may have some suggestions, too.

Thanks, im pretty sure it was because i strained my arm some how and ignored it and made it worse.

And can you answer this one please, if there is soreness, where should it be and how long shall it last?

Natural soreness is different for every player. Called DOMS, or “Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness,” most natural muscle soreness lasts 24-72 hours.

As your arm becomes better conditioned (as the season nears), your DOMS will lessen.

It’s still alright if you pitch through it right? Or can it worsen?

if you throw breaking pitch correctly - let the grip do the work - no snapping, twisting, etc. its ok to throw breaking balls. you need good supervision/instruction.
but, id really work on learning to pitch - hitting spots with fastball and working on your change. being able to throw it any count before i worried too much about curveball.

Suggestion? If its" spring disease "( a term describing soarness from having laid off throwing for awhile) after a few days rest soarness will go away on your next workout. If pain gets worse next outing it might be a mechanical issue causing a medical problem.

right now, i dont care about curve ball, im good with my fast ball and usually only use that for now, but i want to learn a slider.

When you start learning a slider, first of all do you snap your wrist down?
You sayd no twisting, bending of your wrist for breaking pitches but someone told me to snap your wrist down for a slider… which is it?

08TDad, for the spring disease, is it still arlgiht to pitch while you have it or do u just let it rest? and then after a few days ull know when its gone and then you can start up again?

Being 14 I would still focus on fastball/chageup combination. I didn’t throw a curveball till I was 16 and I played varsity my freshman/soph years too. I think that most high school cocashes are looking for consistancy and location. I don’t think they think too much of velocity.

Your 14, you got plenty of room to grow and with weight training programs that your team is going to setup you should grow stronger.

Hope this helps

Ryan

Thank you, only probelm now is… gotta learn the change up :stuck_out_tongue:

Uhm… on the grips page… theres 3 differnet types of change ups…

what one should i use…

[quote=“Hinske8”]Hi, i would like to have the questions i am about to ask answered, i am new at this so please bare with me, first of all i am 14, in my first year of high school, I Havn’t played baseball in a league in around 4 years. But I wanna be a pitcher, i have pretty good command and not bad volicity, I am throwing every day now

my first quesiotn is when you start throwing again (ie. right after winter) when you haven’t thrown in a long time, and your arm isnt used to it, is it usual for your arm ( your shoulder and bicept) to hurt after u throw alot?
For me it did before, i thoguht i strained my arm, and it was like after i threw just a couple of pitches my arm hurt so much i couldn’t even lift it up, right now im waiting for it to be like that because i heard that you should just keep throwing and your arm gets used to it…

helpful, thanks :)[/quote] for your first question, your arm well not be in as good shape as it would be if you would keep throwing through winter. I’d say it would be normal for your arm to hurt after u throw a lot and havent thrown in a while. I’d think it would become a bit sore. When your arm becomes sore make sure you run to rust of some soreness and keep throwing, ice it if u want, however, if your arm hurts too much to throw then make sure you rest a few days before you start throwing again. Also always make sure you warm up before you throw correctly all the time. What has helped me is throwing throughout the week every week. It keeps my arm in shape just playing catch and some long toss.

practice with all of them. use the one that is most comfortable to you and that you can consistantly throw for strikes.

k thx

there are many different grips , experiment and find whats comfortable for you (you may invent a new one ) ! i always like to keep it simple , threw and now teach a 2 seamed “bp fastball” … best time to experiment is simply when you are playing catch (repitition & feel) . net objective should be to throw with maximum arm speed , and on any count … if you cant throw it 2-0 or 3-1 , keep searching .