Becoming Bigger and Stronger

I’m a pretty scrawny kid anymore being 6 feet tall and weighing 160 lbs. I’m lifting four days a week. My reps go from 10,8,4,2. I’m trying this but I’m wondering if you guys like that or not. I want to start taking protein so any information about the best kinds and when and when not to take it is appreciated. I just wanna be bigger, stronger, faster and just be an all around better ball player. I was at a tournament yesterday and I see this kids that have strength written all over them. I want my physic to have a presence. I want to be a beast.

My Goal:
-Add 20 lbs. of muscle by April 1st (High School Opener)

My Workout: (Four Days a Week)

Upper 1:

Running (2.5 Miles) Interval Sprints

Captain’s Chair

Russian Twist

Swiss Ball Crunch

Rope Twists

Standing Barbell Curls

Pull-Ups

Snatch

Bench Press

Dumbbell Rows

Lower 1:

Side Bends

Swiss Ball Oblique Crunch

Planks

Squats

Calf Raises

Leg Press

Upper 2:

Leg Raises

Medicine Ball Twist

Reverse Swiss Ball Crunch

Power Cleans

Concentration Curls

Hammer Curls

Dips

Skull Crushers

Dumbbell Flys

Dumbbell Press

Wrist Curls

Lower 2:

Running

Reaching Crunch

Figure 8

Dead Lift

Lunges (Dumbbells)

Hack Squat

Questions:
-I want to put on size and strength. What rep range should I be working at?
-Protein: Anything and everything?
-A fifth day: I would like to know what I can incorporate as a fifth day? I’m thinking maybe a total core/cardio day.
-What are some explosive exercises I can do? My gym is pretty limited in resources for explosive training I may add.
-Any other advice on getting bigger and stronger?

im not gonna say anything about the actual workout portion, but…

N.O.-Xplode is the best thing out there if you want to increase your strength. Pair it up with CellMass for quicker recovery and you are golden.

I take N.O.-Xplode, CellMass, and Muscle Milk Protein. Im not taking this stuff for increased strength, but more so for endurance and the strength is just a bonus. These have given me better stamina and I am lifting more now.

If you are worried about gaining weight, I’d look to taper down your distance running or cut it out entirely. Intervals are okay but keep the volume low and intensity extremely high.

The lifting splits are decent, not great though. If you are looking at putting on weight, you need to focus your efforts on the big muscle groups - the back, glutes, hams, quads, etc. - where you can add muscle more quickly.

[quote]Questions:
-I want to put on size and strength. What rep range should I be working at? [/quote]
Sets should be anywhere from 3-6, reps 4-12. This is obviously going to correspond with the amount of weight you are using.

.75 x 180 (your desired bodyweight) = 135 grams a day.

Active rest is more important for building muscle. Slip a rest day between your lifting days. So, upper-lower-rest-upper-lower-rest.

Bodyweight exercises - jumping squats, plyo pushups, explosive pullups - you can find tons of stuff.

When in doubt, eat. And start going through CF’s training log to pick up some pointers.

[quote=“ltownindians07”]I’m a pretty scrawny kid anymore being 6 feet tall and weighing 160 lbs. I’m lifting four days a week. My reps go from 10,8,4,2. I’m trying this but I’m wondering if you guys like that or not. I want to start taking protein so any information about the best kinds and when and when not to take it is appreciated. I just wanna be bigger, stronger, faster and just be an all around better ball player. I was at a tournament yesterday and I see this kids that have strength written all over them. I want my physic to have a presence. I want to be a beast.

My Goal:
-Add 20 lbs. of muscle by April 1st (High School Opener)

My Workout: (Four Days a Week)

Upper 1:

Captain’s Chair

Russian Twist

Swiss Ball Crunch

Rope Twists

Standing Barbell Curls

Pull-Ups

Snatch

Bench Press

Dumbbell Rows

Lower 1:

Side Bends

Swiss Ball Oblique Crunch

Planks

Squats

Calf Raises

Leg Press

Upper 2:

Leg Raises

Medicine Ball Twist

Reverse Swiss Ball Crunch

Power Cleans

Concentration Curls

Hammer Curls

Dips

Skull Crushers

Dumbbell Flys

Dumbbell Press

Wrist Curls

Lower 2:

Running

Reaching Crunch

Figure 8

Dead Lift

Lunges (Dumbbells)

Hack Squat

Questions:
-I want to put on size and strength. What rep range should I be working at?
-Protein: Anything and everything?
-A fifth day: I would like to know what I can incorporate as a fifth day? I’m thinking maybe a total core/cardio day.
-What are some explosive exercises I can do? My gym is pretty limited in resources for explosive training I may add.

-Any other advice on getting bigger and stronger?[/quote]

Yea, as KC already said, if you want to add weight and functional strength, your going to need to hit the bigger muscle groups like your quads, hammies, back etc… In my oppinion, a pitchers workout should be designed so the large muscle groups are very well developed, so that energy can step from those muscles during the delivery, yet working to make sure no muscle group, no matter how small, is a weak link in the delivery. You’ll only throw as hard as your weakest link allows you too, so make a good routine that hits all muscle groups, with emphasise on the lower body, core, and larger muscles of the back.

And man, your not going to gain 20 pounds of hard muscle by april, you could gain 20 pounds total including fat, but its only biologically possible to put on 2 pounds of muscle a month, so your looking at around 8-10 max. In 5 months, thats great and you’ll probably increase your lifting stats a ton, but 20 pounds isn’t going to happen.

So far I’ve picked up a couple of things and centerfield’s training log is a great source of information. I just feel like my head’s spinning with all of this stuff though. I mean my goal is to put on size and strength but I want to do so without adding any fat.

Does anyone have any programs that they would recommend for my situation? What are some lifts I can add to my workout? I’m thinking of starting up a progress log much like centerfields.

There is no perfect rep range, in fact it should be changed up regularly. For what your needs are, do your main, biggest lifts for the day in the 3-6 rep range. That would be squats, cleans, deads, presses. Possibly a pulling movement. All your other movements for the day I would cycle between 6 and 12 reps. I generally do an assessory movement for something like four weeks. And example would be do sets of 12 the first week, 10 the next, then 8 and 6.

Get a decent brand, biotest, optimum, EAS. Try out a flavor in the smaller variety, something like a 2lb tub. If you find you like it, then buy a big thing of it 5lbs or greater. You’ll save big money getting bulk.

You’ll want a whey protein for post workout. It digests and absorbs the fastest, which is what you want. Protein with more whey protein isolate than concentrate, is higher quality and easier on the stomach.

I am actively doing pitching and batting along with my lifting, I really do not want/need a fifth day. My body is under so much stress, it is best to let it heal and return to full strength for the start of the next week. I have done a fifth day, and just don’t recover well enough with it. Technically on my off day in the middle of the week I take batting practice, but that isn’t to intense in terms of muscle trauma.

Any barbell exercise can be explosive. Use 50-75% or your 1RM and move it as fast as you can.
Other great ones are various jumps. Straight vertical jumps, box jumps, broad jumps are all awesome choices.
[/quote]

[quote=“ltownindians07”]
-Any other advice on getting bigger and stronger?[/quote]

Read Defrancos WS4SB III program. It is awesome for what you are trying to accomplish.

http://defrancostraining.com/articles/articles.htm

I have just tweaked the monday to use a dumbell bench press and less overall focus on bench press as a whole.

I have been lifting on a modified form of Defrancos template and have had nothing short of phenominal progress.

21lbs in 4 months. And I didn’t even lift that whole time due to various conflicts. Waist size hasn’t changed, I’m still wearing the same pants from a year ago. 32’s. I logged I was 6’1" 162lbs July 8th, I measured today at 6’1" 183lbs.

Overall, toss out the running really!

It takes 6-8 weeks to become conditioned via running. You are trying to gain weight, retain all the calories you can. Go to the track and run a 30, 40 and 60 every few weeks to see how you have improved. If you are doing some form work that’s cool too, but definitely do not need that much running volume.

EAT EAT EAT. IT IS NECESSARY. Eat between classes, eat right after school, eat after breakfast but before first period, eat before bed. Don’t let yourself be caught for long periods without food. That would not coinside with your goals.

Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do it. If you want it bad enough it is within reach. I have accomplished the same thing as your goal with several weeks time to spare. But let me tell you, I have put my body through levels of stress that most people will never, let me repeat that, NEVER understand.

When you think it’s to hard to continue, you’ve still go so much left to give.

At points it will become a mental game. I mean I hardly eat anymore because of being hungry, I eat because it has been x amount of time since I last ate, and I know I need fuel.

[quote=“ltownindians07”]So far I’ve picked up a couple of things and centerfield’s training log is a great source of information. I just feel like my head’s spinning with all of this stuff though. I mean my goal is to put on size and strength but I want to do so without adding any fat.

Does anyone have any programs that they would recommend for my situation? What are some lifts I can add to my workout? I’m thinking of starting up a progress log much like centerfields.[/quote]

Defranco’s WS4SB has been proven many many times. It fits the bill. Tons of variety too. Joe does a good job of providing explanations too.

http://defrancostraining.com/articles/articles.htm

And man, let me tell you I have gained beyond what you would like to gain. My waist size is the same, and my pants from last winter fit great. I have the 6 pack and plenty of vascularity. If anything I would say my body fat levels have dropped. No joke. It’s possible.

My goal I set back in July was 175lbs for spring. Already 183lbs+ I am now looking for 190+. It is totally realistic and I will even have some time to cut any extra fat by eating extremely clean for a while.

Dan John is one of the top 5 Unites States Olympic lifting coaches. He talks of gaining 40 lbs of almost all muscle when he was younger. He said him and his brothers would lift as hard as they could and then chug down as much milk as possible.
Not so much that the milk thing is what I’d do, but “where there’s a will, there’s a way”

[quote=“FSTBLLTHRWER”]
And man, your not going to gain 20 pounds of hard muscle by april, you could gain 20 pounds total including fat, but its only biologically possible to put on 2 pounds of muscle a month, so your looking at around 8-10 max. In 5 months, thats great and you’ll probably increase your lifting stats a ton, but 20 pounds isn’t going to happen.[/quote]

I’d love to see the scientific data proving this?

I’ve gained around 30lbs in 6 months, 20lbs in the last 4. And have the same waist size as before. I have put slabs of muscle on my back and legs specifically, with plenty to go around everywhere else.

I’m not seeing any fat really, actually you can trace the vein patterns from my palms to my shoulder, when I’m just sitting, no vascular pump.

Sure results may very, but 2 lbs a month? Maybe that just wasn’t working hard enough or smart enough. If your already big I would potentially buy into that, still not that much because bigger people generally have a greater potential for growth.
Skinny kids have a lot to gain, especially if they aren’t an advanced trainee.