Battle Ropes

Anyone use them? Benefits?

thanks

sure, decent conditioning tool. Good piece of equipment, not necessary by any means.

Just for conditioning or would they help in anyway in some sort of throwing program meant to increase velocity? Muscle groups? Do they help scaps, etc…?

I know that’s an open ended question… and I’m not even relating this to velocity per-se, but looking at it as one of the byproducts of the ropes.

I’m putting together 1-2 days of week(for son) dedicated to include things like battle ropes, sledgehammer/tire work, plyometrics, speed/agility stuff.

This would be on days he isn’t in the gym doing normal workout.

Also the velocity is not necessarily as a pitcher. He’s an infielder as primary position so looking at increasing arm strength across diamond.

thanks

[quote=“jazzmik”]Just for conditioning or would they help in anyway in some sort of throwing program meant to increase velocity? Muscle groups? Do they help scaps, etc…?

I know that’s an open ended question… and I’m not even relating this to velocity per-se, but looking at it as one of the byproducts of the ropes.

I’m putting together 1-2 days of week(for son) dedicated to include things like battle ropes, sledgehammer/tire work, plyometrics, speed/agility stuff.

This would be on days he isn’t in the gym doing normal workout.

Also the velocity is not necessarily as a pitcher. He’s an infielder as primary position so looking at increasing arm strength across diamond.

thanks[/quote]
I think that’s a great idea. I especially like sledgehammer work for pitchers, as you’re using a ton of pitching specific muscles and involving the core in a full body, explosive movement. Battle ropes are certainly better than running as a conditioning tool, and, done explosively certainly won’t hurt velocity either. Consider including medball drills as well if you don’t have these as part of the lifts during the week.

Plyometrics are good, just be careful to manage the volume because it can beat up the joints a little bit if too much is done. Think about incorporating sled work as well - it’s low impact, but does a great job of hitting the posterior chain. Shouldn’t interfere with lower body lifts too much, and would be great as part of a conditioning wednesday in the middle of a training week.

thanks LL…

We do medball stuff as well. will be doing plyo and/or sprint work 3 times a week. Working on getting his 60 time down to 6.5 range for summer showcases.

As soon as season is over we’ll be hitting it hard in the gym. Right now its been in-season maintenance mode.

Appreciate the input.