Batting Averages and the Lineup

My current coach saw me last season and was impressed with my pitching and hitting. In preseason scrimmages (2 games), I went 7/8. On opening day I was batting ninth. This entire season I’ve batted ninth. Right now one kid is batting .500 and the rest of the team (without him or me) is batting .282. I’m batting .833 (15/18 ) in six games. I just can’t believe that he would bat me ninth when I’m the best hitter right now. Does anyone here know why he would do this?

dude, hes using you as another leadoff guy. You obviously get hits, so when the top of the lineup comes around he can trust that there is a guy on base for them to drive in.

Major props man… That’s awesome!

if it aint broken, dont fix it. You are hitting great in the 9 hole, why change it? Just as said before, you are another leadoff hitter for the top of the lineup

yeah, I hit lead off last year…I would have done a lot better in the 9 spot.
When you hit lead off the first time your up to bat, can be very hard if you don’t know the pitcher.

how many singles, doubles, triples, dingers, walks, strike outs and stolen bases do you have.

I should think that the prime objective for a leadoff hitter is to get on base, any way he can. It really doesn’t make any difference how you do it—a hit, a walk, get hit by a pitch. You get on base, and that gives the next batter a chance to move you over, even drive you in. You’re batting ninth, and there you are, an extra leadoff man, and that makes a pitcher stop and think—you are NOT the easy out he thinks you are, and so he has to be careful. :slight_smile:

This…

Yes, that’s great… except for the fact that it means you get one less AB than everyone else, frequently, which sucks, a lot.

I’d rather bat 9th than 8th.

Maybe, but a point for this gentlemen is the fact that he is batting far more superior than most of his team, meaning it is illogical to bat him so low.

Hi Metfan6986,

There could be a number of reasons why he is choosing to setup the lineup this way besides the previous ones mentioned.

1. One thing you did not mention was each player’s slugging percentage (i.e., who gets the extra base hits). This is an important factor to consider as even though your average may better, you may not have the power that other batters have in the lineup.

2. The lineup order may be manipulated to fit in more left handed batters. Based on your facts, we don’t know. However, it could be the manager feels this order is more advantageous.

3. He may fear your batting average would drop significantly if you move up higher in the order. Generally, teams put their best hitters in the first five spots with the 3rd and 4th hitter being the best power hitters. Most players and pitchers almost instinctively focus and play harder when this part of the order is up to bat. By not having you hit at this portion, you are far more likely to see better balls to hit(pitchers are conditioned not to fear the #9 hitter in the order) like more fastballs and less breaking stuff.

4. Your coach may simply be using another system to setup the order using a criteria of spreading players with speed throughout the lineup.

5. You said you were a pitcher. It may simply be he is trying to limit your at bats because he doesn’t want to wear you out for your pitching. Pitching and hitting does take its toll over the course of the season. Perhaps he is really just trying to maximize your pitching talents more as he feels that is better for the team’s chances of winning.

Regardless of the reason, I would not worry about it too much as you have no control over it. Instead, keep playing your heart out and don’t get discouraged. You can always get in more at bats in summer league or winter baseball.

As long as you’re in the lineup be happy. It doesn’t matter where you bat, I’ve been skipped around from 2nd, to 5th to 9th to 8th to 6th to 7th to 1st, I don’t know why just do what you’re told and if you continue to play well things will fall into place for you.

I’m leading the team in every hitting category except for SB,RBI’s, and HR’s. But nobody has a home run yet.

By the way this is my 300th post.

SB is probably why, your coach whether you like it or not probably wants a really good base stealer batting leadoff.

Few RBI’s is what comes with the 9 spot unfortunately.

[quote=“Pustulio”]SB is probably why, your coach whether you like it or not probably wants a really good base stealer batting leadoff.

Few RBI’s is what comes with the 9 spot unfortunately.[/quote]

I have plenty of RBI’s, I’m just not leading the team. I’m second in RBI’s.

[quote=“metfan6986”][quote=“Pustulio”]SB is probably why, your coach whether you like it or not probably wants a really good base stealer batting leadoff.

Few RBI’s is what comes with the 9 spot unfortunately.[/quote]

I have plenty of RBI’s, I’m just not leading the team. I’m second in RBI’s.[/quote]

Well based on your size, I’m going to guess you probably don’t smoke line drives all over the outfield, your probably more of a singles hitter. Theres nothing wrong with that, but singles hitters don’t bat cleanup, you should know that. I would just be pleased your playing for the team, and realize that one of a coaches best secret weapons is an explosive bottom of the order. So with all due respect, if I were you I would stop whining and just keep hitting and helping the team every way you can.

I’M NOT IN HIGH SCHOOL!!! I’M IN EIGHTH GRADE. It’s in my signature how old I am. I hit plenty of doubles and triples. Since my post I’ve maintained my .833 batting average, while the rest of the team is batting .216. Also I’m the only one on the team who hasn’t made an error.

Oh I apologize, of assumed you were a freshman and that signature was old. Well I would just suggest to keep doing what your doing, a good hitter in the 9 hole is one of the toughest guys to pitch to, there is slot of pressure to keep him off base as the pitcher. It’s a great strategic element, it’s not a coincidence that you batting down there.

Calm down, the way you continue to whine makes me think you’re making some of these stats up and that you’re just trying to earn admiration on the internet instead of the field.