Baseball stretches

Hi,

My friend coaches a rep baseball team that is 10-11 years of age. What stretches should his team be doing so the players don’t get injuried? All stretches are good to know about.

Thanks

I wouldn’t have them do any stretches, because they haven’t been proven to reduce the risk of injury (and might increase it).

Instead, I would just make sure that guys get their muscles warmed up before throwing. Playing catch, running wind sprints, jumping jacks, etc.

Hey,

Do you have any URL’s i can look at for stretches? Like I know he wants stretches for legs, arms, back, etc…

hope someone can help him out

thanks

Hi again,

He said that some of his players already have sore arms. Some in the shoulder, some in the bicep area and some in the elbow area. What should he do?

The problem isn’t lack of stretching.

More likely, the problem is due to overuse, poor mechanics, lack of conditioning (e.g. lack of throwing) and/or not warming up (e.g. playing catch) before games.

Keep it simple.

Play catch for 15 minutes before each game (starting out close together and then gradually getting farther apart) to warm up the arm. Do jumping jacks before each game to warm up the legs.

Also, try doing some sprints and/or a pole before and after a game or practice.

I wouldn’t have them do any stretches, because they haven’t been proven to reduce the risk of injury (and might increase it).

Instead, I would just make sure that guys get their muscles warmed up before throwing. Playing catch, running wind sprints, jumping jacks, etc.[/quote]

WHAT??? How can stretches increase the chance of injury???

[quote=“jmart917”]
WHAT??? How can stretches increase the chance of injury???[/quote]

By decreasing the stability of joints.

Instead, I would just make sure that guys get their muscles warmed up before throwing. Playing catch, running wind sprints, jumping jacks, etc.[/quote]
Highknees and Buttkicks are some good ones too

The study that I saw stated that stretching causes muscles to force into relaxation. That is why you feel “loose” after stretching. The only problem is that you dont want loose muscles when you are looking for peak performance. You need to have tension in the muscle (think of flexing your bicep) in order to apply strength effectively.