Baseball pitching questions?

I just want to ask a few questions that have been on my mind.

What are the best arm slots for throwing breaking balls ~~besides a 4~seam?

Is the screwball a pitch that should still be used?

How do I develop arm strength with equipment?

Perfect my knuckle~ball, stick with conventional, or combine the two?

for the arm slot question i think it depends on the pitcher, a lower arm slot will on average create more horizontal movement but a higher arm slot will create more vertical movement.

1. Generally, the higher the arm slot, the better the 12-6 break on a curveball. That’s why a lot of low 3/4 guys throw sliders instead.

2. Develop a good change up, and you don’t have to worry about throwing a screwball. Same movement, but the change of speed on the change up adds another element of deception.

3. You don’t need equipment. There are soooo many body weight and resistance band exercises that you could do. The single most important exercise for pitchers is squats. Start with body weight squats, add resistance bands, maybe add a med ball, and then you can graduate to a barbell. More important than fancy equipment is your work ethic. Seriously.

4. I wouldn’t throw anything other than a fastball, change up, and curveball/slider. Three pitches.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Find your natural slot and see what breaking ball comes off of it instead of trying to make a breaking ball fit a certain slot. Anytime you change a slot you lose your fastball slot. Typically people are 3/4 slots but they think they are over the top…over the top is rare…so in the 12/6 breaking ball. A slurve is more common and a good pitch for what it is…dont force yourself to be at a different slot just to fit a breaking ball…breaking balls are way overrated.

Screwball is not something you need to worry about…just like was said above…focus on 2 seamer and change up. The reason we always try and create different pitches is for confusion to the batter…but if you can’t control your fastball or change up what is the point?

You develop arm strength by throwing, anything that is manufactured such as devices to help you throw harder is false. You have to know how to throw and be comfortable throwing.

Knuckleball is a good pitch to have in your repertoire if it is something you usually throw. But you have to buy into either being a knuckleball pitcher or a pitcher who throws a knuckleball. Pitchers who throw a knuckleball is seen as a gimmick instead of the other way around where you are a knuckleball pitcher.

HERE ARE SOME IMPORTANT THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND WHEN PITCHING IN SLOWPITCH SOFTBALL:

Start with the heels of both feet on the pitcher’s mound rubber.
Hold the ball in your glove at your throwing arm hip.
As you start to pitch bend your hips and lower your hands with the ball still in your glove as you also move your hands slightly backwards.
As your glove goes further back take the softball out of it and continue to move your throwing hand backwards just slightly.
Next you will begin your forward motion. When you do this put your glove hand straight out in front of you for balance first and then bring your throwing hand forward in an underarm style.
At the same time you begin moving your throwing arm forward you will take step forward with your foot on your non-throwing side. This will help create some momentum to pitch the ball far enough to reach home plate with the softball.
As you are moving your arm forward it helps to keep it at about the height of your hip.
When the ball passes your body and starts to get in front of it about 8 – 12 inches then release the ball.
Even after the ball is released you should still follow through with the underarm motion; this will give you increased control over your pitches.