Baseball Factory

Hi, I was watching a Baseball Factory showcase in Hawaii and was wondering if any of you pitchers/coaches have experience with Baseball Factory? Is it the best place to market yourself or son’s talents to the colleges?

When deciding on a showcase, prospect camp for the purpose of attending a college that spots you and wants your services, consider this - many (not all) institutions fill their rosters with players that aren’t that far from the college itself.

Take for example the following:
University of Alabama
University of Arizona
Ball State
Brigham Young University
University of California at Berkeley
Seton Hall University
University of Tennessee at Knoxville

Then, on the other hand, you have an institution like Brown University that fills a roster from a much broader population base.

But suppose you’re really looking for a college or university that really fits your needs, from a location and money standpoint. Suppose your interested in Colgate or Providence College. These two have no baseball program to speak of - if any, but they are two of the finest institutions on the planet.

I would suggest taking your plans in these directions, and in this order:

What do you really want out of college and why? Is it a stepping stone for a professional career - baseball or not? Is it for a vocation that lights a fire in your belly? ( I had an experience with this one.*)
How far from home are you willing to travel? Do you mind being far from home where the only visit home is after the academic year is over? How about living expenses while on campus?
Your personality should be a good fit for campus life. Some institutions can be intimidating while others are a home town feeling.
Are you expecting a free ride or just a partial? Money can be in short supply with baseball and college life.
Check out all the pitchers on the college roster going back for five (5) years. See who they go after. What are they looking for repeatedly - roster slots can tell you a lot about an institution.

So, before looking for a company, a service, or a college camp/showcase, etc., do a little research of what you can handle first. It’s like going into a grocery store. You know you need groceries, but rarely do you walk through the doors without a list of what you need.

Now I know some of these events post a listing of coaches and possibly scouts that’ll be in attendance - BUT, that listing is not set in stone. So, if those coaches and scouts are from places that you have no intention of enrolling in, the event may take some extra thinking. And try not to rely on “ Oh, we keep a list and …”. For the money that many of these place charge, you deserve better than that.

I hope this brings to light some things that might help you.

Coach B.

• I worked with a guy for a few years and he showed all kinds of promise and was seriously being considered for a prospect life. He took a visit to the Boston Maritime Academy, and there it hit him like a ton of bricks – that’s what he wanted to do with his life. He left my coaching and all the promise of a professional career and graduated with honors, worked his way up in the merchant fleet industry and is doing very well. The young man was gifted, no doubt about it. But something else called and he answered.

Thanks for the reponse Coach!

Very, very useful information. Being in Hawaii it’s difficult for the player’s to get any exposure. My son is still a few of years away from college, but he’ll definitely decide on the educational and career pathways when the time comes. Or else his mom will kick both our butts:)

My son participated in one Baseball Factory Event and one Perfectgame Showcase.

First and foremost Baseball Factory is a for profit organization. The staff that I dealt with were professional and experienced. They described what service was provided at what price and delivered. I can only speak for the tournament experience. However, a friend of mine used them for an internet recruiting package and he got about two dozen cold calls from various colleges. The student ended up walking on to a DI school in North Carolina. He did not get a scholarship but he made the team.

Now this goes back to what Coach B. was saying. When it comes to college, for whatever reason, families skin that proverbial cat backwards. They often put the athletic cart before the academic horse. IMHO after placing two of my children in college, it is proper to make sure the college is academically fitted for the student. As a parent you know better than anyone the nature of your son’s academic potential.

Let me use my own son as an example. After attending a Northeast Regional Showcase for Perfectgame he received quite a bit of interest from a certain Ivy League school. I knew and he knew that wasn’t in the cards but the school didnt realize it until much later in the process.

So what I’m trying to say is…with all the resources out there via internet you can recruit the school instead of the school recruiting you. Target the right schools with the program, size, facilities, location, coaching staff, conditioning, social atmosphere, etc. Then you see if your talent reasonably allows you to compete in their baseball program. Plan to attend a college showcase that includes these schools. Instead of, putting your skills out for hire and hoping the schools that come courting are the ones that will suit you academically.

I would not say I wasted my time and money with Baseball Factory or Perfectgame. Those experiences were worthy in their very essence for competition and for my son to understand where he stood in the pecking order. They were also great for father son relationship. But, and this is a very large but, don’t think that the financial investment you make in these programs will necessarily payoff with scholarship money. The fact is that whatever you get from the school is not going to change because you were a customer of any showcase/recruiting organization. The coach will determine what financial investment will be made regardless.

The Skipper for UH is Head Coach Mike Trapasso, who is no stranger to the baseball coaching ranks, including my neck of the woods here in Springfield, Massachusetts. He’s also a good collector of some real talent that does very well attracting said same.

UH plays in the West Coast League for college ball - I think it’s called the Western A.C.

On the schedule boards they play at Long Beach, San Diego, and Fullerton - which is not too shabby for being on an island where the population pool can have its limitations. And on that note, there may be an opportunity that shouldn’t be overlooked.

I would suggest attending all the baseball camps, clinics, and similar events at UH and letting their coaching staff get a good look at your son and his desire to play the game. Here you have the best of advantages from a resource standpoint of a limited player pool and year round weather that can cultivate an on going learning curve that other parts of the mainland just can’t compete with.

UH is a great college and if you play your cards right, being home-grown and THERE can really work for you big time.

I sincerely wish you and your son the very best with your baseball experience.

Coach B.