Barry Zito, what happened

just a couple years ago this guy was very popular on this board, everyone fawning over his curve … and now… he’s terrible…

I haven’t seen any of his games this year, but i read that velocity is down…

even when he was winning 20 games, i must admit that i always thought his fastball was very straight … but now it’s slow too

what do you guys think of this? it really is a fascinating fall from grace.

Well his curve can be as good as ever, but when his fastball is coming in at 84 and just floating over the middle of the plate, it doesn’t matter, hence the 0-6 start.

on chris o leary’s site there’s a decent explanation about what happened to him. i saw it the other day

Yeah its sad to see this happen. Me bein a HUGE Giants fan him comin in was one of the happiest days of my life. I meen come on everybody wanted to throw a curve like Barry. But now this has to go down as one of the worst signings in Major League history. The bullpen thing is smart. They did it to cain 2 years back. Yeah he was only 21 and ztio 29 but hey there both pitchers so hopefully it works out. I say just throw 50% curves? haha

The Reds Phenom Johnny Cueto just got blasted by the Cards yesterday. The problem location and mind set. Cueto has a 97 mph fast ball with sick movement, a filty slider, and a very nasty change. But, his location was off and he tried to overthrow everything so he humg his slider and change-up. The angrier he got, the worse he fared.

The moral of the story relax and pitch your game. Some times the batters are going to get you, so tip your hat and go on. Zito will get better too. Some guy just do not ptich good in cold weather. Unfortunately for my Reds, we have whole staff of those guys…Ian.

good article on Zito by Paul Nyman at hardball times.

Nothing to do with the topic, but why are you throwing a curveball and slider when you’re in grade eight? Doesn’t that make you thirteen, or fourteen?

Nothing to do with the topic, but why are you throwing a curveball and slider when you’re in grade eight? Doesn’t that make you thirteen, or fourteen?[/quote]
i havent been throwing the slider much, but i was taught how to throw a curve the right way, and its my best pitch right now.

Your curve doesn’t even have a real movement (12-7) That is impossible its either 12-6 or 1-7

from the way i see the break from the mound, the ball comes in straight, drops, and has a slight movement to the left, hence the 12-7. ppl will call that a 12-6 but what the heck, invent a pitch