Balls to hit with in the OF before a game

I see teams in the outfield doing soft toss before a game. Some teams use wiffle balls, while others use this other kind of ball. I was wondering if you know which ball this would be?

I have 3 dozen duro pickle balls. They have yet to show any wear against metal or wood bats since I spent the money on them this summer. I have the kids pair off and throw overhand from about 30 feet. It’s a match for reaction time and the balls only travel 75-80 when hit hard.

With other balls, at least a few develop cracks or splits each time they are used. I used to need a new dozen every month or so, but I haven’t lost one of these to damage in two months.

I have 3 dozen duro pickle balls. They have yet to show any wear against metal or wood bats since I spent the money on them this summer. I have the kids pair off and throw overhand from about 30 feet. It’s a match for reaction time and the balls only travel 75-80 when hit hard.

With other balls, at least a few develop cracks or splits each time they are used. I used to need a new dozen every month or so, but I haven’t lost one of these to damage in two months.

Its not a dura pickle ball. More like a sponge ball?

Is it full size or small? At any rate, I use small golf practice balls from about 5-10 feet in front of the hitter. I am behind an L screen throwing overhand. Then we switch to the pickle ball station. Then they go live situation or an at bat vs a pitcher or a coach.

The most common sponge balls I see are those little Skilz balls or I see kids flailing away at a yellow nub on the end of a stick held by someone.

It might be fsster just to ask the person you see using them :wink:

They used to have what are called “koosh” balls—regulation baseball size, but very soft, multicolored with all sorts of little tentacles and stuff—nothing that would hurt a mosquito. They would squish and squash but never break. I wish they would bring them back, because I could use one to squeeze. 8)

I saw another team using this ball in a tournament. Didn’t get a chance to ask.

What balls do you recommend for outside and for indoors?

I remember many moons ago when I participated in a PFP—“pitcher’s fielding practice”—session with what turned out to be several of the Yankees’ second-line players; my wise and wonderful pitching coach had extended this invitation because he thought I could benefit from it. Well, we did it, and believe me, there were no “koosh” balls or anything like them—
we used real live American League baseballs (those were the days when the two leagues used separate-but-equal balls), and I got more out of that three-hour afternoon session than most pitchers do in a month or even a whole season! A terrific workout, and a lot of fun. 8) :slight_smile: :baseballpitcher:

I use game balls in practice. Practice how you play. Each year, the league provides four dozen balls and doesn’t want them back at the end of the season. I give each player three or four balls to keep once we’ve had our final game.

I use wiffle-style balls for side hitting sessions.

Sounds like Total Control Balls…have never used them, but supposedly they are designed so if you don’t square them up correctly, they don’t go anywhere.