Ball Coach pocket radar gun

I have a ball coach pocket radar gun and while using a 50mph tuning fork (that is accurate been tested on other high end guns) it consistently shows 6-7 mph slower than 50… should i get a refund on the gun and buy a new one ?

Hey Derek19 ,

Maybe just send a email to pocket radar. Because I got a stalker radar and when I buy it, the compagny said in a sheet in the box that you can send your radar to them if their something wrong and they will take a look at it if you send it to them ( calibration , radar fonction …) of course it cost something , but maybe pocket radar can offer you the same thing. I don’t use it often but where I train, they got the two version of those radar and they are usually 1 mph higher or slower than my stalker.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We are always happy to help with any issues.
Tuning forks are specifically calibrated to each different brand of radar gun. The frequency of the tuning fork depends on the operating frequency of the radar gun. There are many different radars out there at different frequencies and they all use different tuning forks.
The one shown in your video shows that it is designed for X band. The Ball Coach Radar operates at 24.125 GHz frequency in the K band. We have all of the different radar guns and tuning forks here in our lab and I am familiar with the one you have. Doing the math to correct for the different frequency band 44 MPH is exactly what it should read if you use it on our K band radar. So it actually shows that your radar is accurate. Let me know if you are interested in the exact math.
If you need a tuning fork for you Ball Coach Radar, we have a tuning fork that is used for our law enforcement and traffic engineering models. It sells for $24.99.
The Ball Coach Radar is very accurate and is used daily by MLB and college coaches. You can make a quick check of your accuracy without a tuning fork by riding in the passenger seat of a moving car while someone is driving over 25 miles per hour and aiming the radar straight out the windshield at the road up ahead in front of the car. Make sure no other cars are coming towards you. Tap the button quickly and you should get a speed that matches the speedometer of the car within +/- 1 MPH. Of course you need to make sure the tires are at the proper inflation for the speedometer to be accurate. Also, if you aim off angle and not straight ahead you will get a lower reading due to the Cosine effect.
If there is ever a problem with your Ball Coach Radar it has a 2 year warranty and we will be happy to repair or replace it for you under warranty. Please contact me directly if you have any other questions.
If you ever need any help please call us toll-free at 888-381-2672 weekdays between the hours of 9 AM and 5 PM Pacific Time. If we are on the line with another customer, please leave a message and we will call you back. Thanks,

Chris Stewart
President
Pocket Radar Inc.
888-381-2672