Balk

Hi, this is my first post.:slight_smile:

Have you ever heard of this rule? A right handed pitcher on my team would step on the rubber, look at first, then step off the rubber, break his hands and pump fake to first. The umpire said this was a balk. I thought that once the pitcher steps off the rubber he then becomes a fielder and can pump fake to first base. The pitcher did this 3 or 4 times and the ump called him every time on that “rule”.

For that to be legal he must first step backwards. If he just spun and didn’t make a throw to the bag it is a balk. Do you remember what move he did?

He came to the set position, looked at first, stepped off the rubber backwards, and then pump faked to first. The umpire would only say that he can’t fake to first. i have done this and seen this done before without being called a balk. Also, I have not been impressed with the umpires in the league and he could be mixing up rules or he might have seen something I didn’t.

That should not have been a balk - assuming he stepped off with his pivot foot first.

That should not have been a balk - assuming he stepped off with his pivot foot first.

Ahhhh… there’s the missing piece of this puzzle.

Coach B.

He definitely stepped off the rubber with his pivot foot first.

I didn’t think that was a balk when he called it but fortunately it didn’t matter, the game ended up being a mercy.

Maybe the “break the hands” part was done in a manner to simulate that part of his normal delivery (in the umpire’s judgement)? I think simulating your delivery while not on the rubber might also be a balk.

Or, like many umpires they just don’t know the rules.