Bad nutrition?

alright i put this in this forum because it has to do with nutrition. i imagine this could be a controversial topic but it’s an honest question and i’m curious about what people think/know.

so people always tell kids my age- and especially athletes my age- not to drink or do drugs. i’m not saying that i’m an alcoholic or a stoner or anything but as an 18-year-old i’d be lying if i said i’ve never drank or tried marijuana. i’ll also be heading to college in a year where, needless to say, drugs and alcohol are pretty much one of the main pastimes.

so i was wondering how alcohol and marijuana actually affect athletes. i’m pretty responsible as it is (being 25% native american, i have to be careful since indians are genetically at a much higher risk level of becoming alcoholics than the general population). but at my age it’s also tough to completely avoid when you still want to go out to the occasional party with friends.

i want to become the absolute best pitcher i can be, even if it would mean going completely straight edge. but is this totally necessary? so anyway, I’m curious about how this stuff specifically affects athletes if anyone knows.

To get away from that stuff, apply at BYU, lol!

Anyways, I don’t know if this would affect a conventional pitcher. I have talked to fellow knuckleballers and they said that when they drink or smoke, the next day they feel the toxins and cannot follow the ball well. I wonder if conventional pitchers would have issues with breaking stuff or releasing the ball correctly.

Here’s a decent reference to affects of alcohol:
About 1/3 of the way down the page is the header;
“What you miss out on by drinking”
Under that is plenty of good information addressing what you have asked about.

The article is solid for athletes, lifters and average people. It’s on bodybuilding.com but it’s not specific to any lifestyle.

I’ll try to offer a bit of my own experience and opinion here… (and very nice find with that article CF).

Depending on where you go to school, you’ll probably find out that alcohol and drugs are not as prevelent as Animal House and Van Wilder would like you to believe. I’d say that about 70% of the population of my Uni drinks and 20% smokes pot. Of those people, an even smaller percentage would be termed “regular users.” Media and popular perception seems to lump all college students into this category (some places are like that, though. Arizona State, for example).

What I am trying to say is that you shouldn’t feel pressured to be one or the other. This isn’t high school where people will follow you around and call you a wuss if you dont drink a 40 of cheap malt with them. There is one guy that hangs out with my group of friends who is absolutely anti-drinking, and I have never heard anyone give him a hard time for it.

The main thing you need to do is find a balance. You dont want to look back 20 years from now and say, “I wonder how good I could have been if I had really buckled down and trained my butt off for baseball? How far could I have gone in the game?” By the same token, you dont want to look back and wonder what you missed out on in college. Parties, friends, experiences, etc. You only get to go college once then it is off to the real world (or maybe the minor leagues, who knows?).

So this would be my advice. Take it for what it is worth.
Go to as many parties as possible and make as many friends as possible, but dont let that interfere with your aspirations for baseball. If you know you have practice the next day, don’t get drunk or high. If you have a rest day the next day… play it by ear. Balance between work and fun is the most important thing.

Doesn’t your school test for drugs especially your college team?

I don’t think that high school teams test and as far as I know, college teams don’t test either. I think that there would be a lot fewer college athletes if they were to test…

But yeah, that was a really interesting article Centerfield. As far as this stuff is concerned, it’s not really a part of my lifestyle right now. I wouldn’t be the kind of person to go off the deep end in college anyway, but I was curious since I’d imagine that most people have some interaction with it at some point.

Saying that you want to be the best pitcher possible and saying you smoke pot and drink in the same paragraph is totally contradictiory. Its not hard to not be a pot head. Just stop being a wussy push over who gives into peer pressure. Its not uncool to not smoke pot. Also smoking pot or drinking underage you run the risk of being kicked off your team. At my school its a suspesnion 1st time kicked off 2nd time. It’s not worth it.