Bad Fielding

So my 11 year old pitches one inning in a scrimmage the other day and gave up 4 hits and ultimately 4 runs. The first 2 hits were easy outs and should have ended the inning instead they got on because of poor infielder play (like a rookie 12 yr old playing 3rd base). The coach also paired him with a catcher that when my son would tell him to move over top the corners he would and then would stick his hand back in the middle of the plate.lol…

I thought my son did well for the most part he got all three outs through strike outs and kept his composure. They pitched 6 guys (one per inning) and he was the only 11 year old then rest were 12.

my question is what do you think the coach saw?

I don’t know what the coach might have seen, but I can tell you that if I were coaching I would have seen a “team” desperately in need of infield practice! Those kids were all twelve years old, right? That certainly is old enough to work on defensive skills. Not everyone can be a Derek Jeter or a Robinson Cano, but they are old enough to be able to grab a hard grounder and flip to second for the force play or make a long throw to first to get the out. And that takes work. What were those kids doing—lollygagging? :roll:

Zita…the guy they put on 3rd was a rookie 12 year old who has never played before. He was hit a grounder to him and could have tagged out the runner or stepped on the bag at 3rd but instead he throw to first (a wild throw) which led to runs…the outcome would have been much better if my son had the A team behind him when it was his turn to pitch…

More than once I’ve told a pitcher that his job is to throw strikes and have fun. But while they are learning to pitch the other kids are learning to field so things don’t always go as they “should”. I just let them know that I knew what was going on. I would not encourage you or your son to “wonder” what the coach is thinking. Ultimately he (your son) has no control over that. He should just focus on what he can control. His effort. Being a good and supportive teammate. Hustling. Being on time to practices and games.

I would concern myself only with how your son is pitching. If he is throwing with control and velocity, getting some strike outs and giving up a few hits with a few dinky hits that should be outs, he’s doing all he’s supposed to do!

As a Manager of a Little League Minors team, I’m more worried about the pitcher who gets rocked with shots to the outfield that happen to be caught for outs than with the pitcher who gives up easy grounders that are flubbed by the infield.

In rec ball you often find this scenario. The thought is that the best pitcher won’t get hit on so that’s time to let the weaker infielders play. I have learned to keep my son’s confidence up by giving him credit not only for strike outs but also for giving up hits by throwing strikes. You can’t control the fielding but you can keep his confidence up.

Sometimes not even if rec ball, my son’s first outing last weekend, first game of the season, 5 errors, 2 strike outs, 1 catcher put out and 5 unearned runs in. He plays 14U AAA and Major playing probably the #2 team in our area, it happens at all levels and is very contageous during a game and inning.