Backyard Bullpen

Hey Everybody,

I am wanting to become a better pitcher all around, but I don’t have the money to buy a pitching target or anything for the backyard. Is there any possible way to build a target for me to throw to?

You could build a bullpen of sorts using a large piece of wood on which you mark the various parts of the strike zone and stand it up against a wall or fence, and a 2’ by 6’ slab which you set firmly into the ground 60’6" away. Then all you need is a large bucket of baseballs and you’re all set. Even better would be to get a good catcher, have him set up at the requisite distance with a mitt, and throw to him—that way you will get real live feedback as to how your pitches are doing, where they are in the strike zone, etc.
When I did bullpens my catcher and I would go to an unused playing field and work there. I would throw off the mound, full windup, stretch, use all my pitches, throw at different speeds, really zero in on the strike zone. The fun part was when I would crossfire one pitch or another (I was a natural sidearmer) and the catcher would have to move fast to spear the ball! 8) :slight_smile:

I have seen kids hang a peice of carpet over an old swingset, just throw into the carpet…really does work.

[quote=“yankee4life226”]Hey Everybody,
I am wanting to become a better pitcher all around, but I don’t have the money to buy a pitching target or anything for the backyard. Is there any possible way to build a target for me to throw to?[/quote]

My brothers and I used to have up an two old metal gates (each with about 1/4 inch wire, each gate probably 10’ x 4’).
We’d put a tarp over the gates and used 'em for a backstop. Worked pretty good for a while, then tarp started getting beat up and balls would occasionally go right through.
Tarps, old carpet scraps, boards, metal sheets, etc.
Lots of old stuff can be used to make a simple, home-made, cheap backstop.

No, Ben and I are not alike… I hate watching golf but I’ll play it… I actually was an umpire and coached baseball.