Backward Chaining

Can someone please explain to me the process used in backwards chaining? I understand that the purpose is to learn the pitching motion from the release point and then move it back to the beginning, but is this just done through drills? What is the general procedure that is followed?

Thanks for the help

Anyone have any insight??

I don’t have much to say about this, other than that I don’t use it with my guys.

When first developing a pitcher, I make sure they can throw properly and then start modifying their throwing motion so that they are better able to pitch. That includes doing things like making sure their hips are rotating ahead of their shoulders.

Also, I’m not sure sure that starting at the release point is an overly valuable idea since many problems at the release point are symptoms of things that have gone wrong earlier on in the motion.

[quote=“BigUnit”]Anyone have any insight??[/quote]you could try searching, it helps a lot, seeing how your new, i wont go too hard on you, but the search option helps keep the board from getting multiple topics…ask dm, he does good work wiht this stuff

I actually brought this up because I originally used the search engine for the board and none of the posts that mentioned backward chaining actually explained what it was. That’s why I was wondering if someone could explain the process/drills used.

I actually brought this up because I originally used the search engine for the board and none of the posts that mentioned backward chaining actually explained what it was. That’s why I was wondering if someone could explain the process/drills used.[/quote]oo ok, ask dm, hes the one that told me how to do it

BigUnit
Try searching for “reverse progression”. Also, if you pm me with your email address, I’ll send some info on to you.

Chris
Tonight, I’ll post an article that discusses this whole issue. I don’t have it with me right now.

I posted a new thread entitled “Reverse Progression/Backward Chaining” in response to this thread.

I had a pitching coach in highschool that did this with us. He would start us out with the ball held out in front of the body right where one would release the ball, the front leg is stiff and the follow through leg is in the air straight off the ground. The ball was then taken to the power position, hence, the back leg was placed on the ground, the hips un square themselves moving the shoulder pointing to the glove, the arm moves back pointing the ball to center field and the front side is moved into its position right b4 a pitcher would normally tuck the glove side in. Then we would lift our leg and throw. We didnt really do it too long for me to tell you if it did anything or not but our pitching instructor seemed to like the drill. Hope you can understand those directions.