back foot

Where should it land? I usually hit my toes on the ground on my arm side.

It depends on your body and your motion. Generally speaking, your back foot should fly up above your butt after you release the ball. From there, ideally, it will follow your forward momentum and end up close to your front foot, with both feet at about shoulder-width apart and facing home plate — putting you in a position to field a ball hit back to you.

That’s ideal — but everyone is different. Again, I say generally, you should at least have some control of your body. But there are always exceptions (Dontrelle Willis, Oliver Perez, Mitch Williams, to name a few). Unless you’re throwing in the high 90s and able to control your pitches at that speed, it’s probably a good plan to work toward a controlled follow-through.

i agree with joejanish , you always want your legs to be in your fielding position after you throw. This will allow you to have quicker reactions to a hard hit line drive back at you or a good fielding position for a little dribbler.

Well, my leg would usually cross-over. My mechanics are solid and I throw alot of strikes. I usually try to kick my right leg, kinda like Pedro. Is that okay?

i dont want to talk about your mechanics that much right now…this is for your back foot. But as long as you end up in a good fielding position id say your alright. Can you get up a video of you so i can see exactly what you do?

For me, the key to being a good fielding pitcher is to be athletic. You would look at CC Sabathia’s body and finish and think he would be a poor fielder. He is actually a good fielder because he is a good athlete. It is not worth sacrificing anything in terms of quality of your stuff to be in a good fielding position. It is more important to make 100 quality pitches in a game than it is sacrifice a little on each one to be in a good position to field the 1 come backer you might get. If you have to worry about fielding come backers, you probably aren’t making your pitches anyway and should find another position to play. Worrying about the position you will be in after a pitch will take away from your intent to really let the ball go. The majority of big leaguers finish to the side, especially the guys that throw the ball 95+.

Agree with sibb5 100%. Fielding your position is important – on elements such as covering the first-base side of the infield on balls to the right side. But most power pitchers – including me, when I pitched – have a follow-through that takes righties to the first-base side of the rubber and lefties to the third-base side of the rubber. Not particularly “perfect” fielding position, by any means. But I didn’t care. I adjusted as best I could after I made the pitch. For me, falling off to the first-base side after a pitch was the only way for me to slow down my momentum.

I don’t think you should try to do anything with your leg. What your leg does is a reaction to the rest of your mechanics. In fact, your back foot will come around in much the same slot as your arm. Just let it happen.

I don’t know if I really said that right Roger. I defintely wont sacrifice my pitching for my follow through… Because I always have the same results.

If I could ever get a camera that’d be explaining it better than I currently am :lol:

yeah try having someone with a camera so they van tape you i want to see what you do with your back foot.

He’ll end up sliding it and kicking it in the dirt

(If you remember, last spring he injured his right toes)

That’s kinda what I do. I think it prevents myself from overthrowing.

i wouldnt argue with what pedro does…keep doing what your doing if its like his, but still try to get a video people on here can help you a lot more if we can have a visual

There is good logic in concentrating more on the pitch than the fielding position. Major league pitchers usually have the ability to react to the come backer. What about the liner to the chest or head. Should the H.S. kid in a metal bat league think about getting his glove in position not so much to catch the liner but to use the glove as protection. When you have a great middle infield you can afford not to field your position on come backers otherwise isn’t the out important as well as the effort put into the cross over follow through. The park gets very quiet when the pitcher couldn’t react to the head shot

A “cross over follow through” requires no additional energy. It just happens. Additional energy is spent when you fight against the body’s natural deceleration to end up in a good fielding position.

For me, worrying about being in a good fielding position or the quality of your middle infielders is a good way to ensure you don’t get comebackers…Because everything will get hit in the gaps or over the fence.

Interesting comment regarding the cross over. It can be a strain on the knee and ankle if the landing foot bears all the weight. the cross over occurs mostly when the landing leg knee falls to the glove side. I still would consider Greg and the Moose as two good models for kids compared to another favorite, Pedro

Steven and sibb, how many additional pitches do you think Greg Maddux has saved his arm over 20 years by fielding his position as the very best fielding pitcher in the history of the game? I very much understand a Relief Pitcher/Closer not worrying so much about it but if you are a pitcher learning your position and it doesn’t effect your mechanics, why not? It could mean less pitches, less runners, less runs, more innings pitched with less pitches per. I don’t advocate a serious worry about changing how you throw, but as a kid learning to pitch it would not be a bad thing to make that a part of your package IMHO.

I agree that it is very important to field your position. PFP’s should be done daily with high intensity, but mechanics don’t need to be altered to become better at them.