B-Webb sinker

does anyone know how brandon webb throws and/or grips his sinker??

e.x. pictures, articles etc.

[quote=“Too_Mutch13”]does anyone know how brandon webb throws and/or grips his sinker??

e.x. pictures, articles etc.[/quote]

MLB.com Article (with picture)
http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060713&content_id=1555336&vkey=news_ari&fext=.jsp&c_id=ari

Here is a picture from another angle.

This guy is so fierce!
I love the sinker…Arm saver…ground ball getter.

I personally spoke with Webb one on one about 30 minutes in late December. He throws his sinker with a 2 seam grip and just throws it with fastball action. If he tries to throw too hard he won’t get the good tailing action. He gets the best movement when he pitches 89-91 and he can go up to 94. It just seems to be a combo of the 2 seam grip and his natural arm slot action. Funny thing is he never had the sinker while in college at Kentucky. His ball began to gain this action soon after he was drafted. He moved thru the minors quickly and says anymore his best strikeout pitch is his changeup. He uses his curveball more as a show pitch and will throw it more when going thru the batting order the 2nd and 3rd times. He is definetly bigger than his 6’2 listing, and he was the most down to earth guy you could meet.

Tdog

Notice that he is in the “high cock” position and his hand his supinated slightly so the ball is facing more towards home than 3B. This allows him to pronate through and after release.

so the more your throwing hand faces towards home than 3B the more pronation and movement you get??

I’m guessing you don’t force the pronation, it just comes naturally right?

[quote=“Too_Mutch13”]
so the more your throwing hand faces towards home than 3B the more pronation and movement you get??

I’m guessing you don’t force the pronation, it just comes naturally right?[/quote]

I can’t say absolutely that you will get more movement. But your pronation will be more “powerful” since your are pronating through a longer range of motion.

Your hand will pronate whether you force it or not. I don’t see the problem with forcing it if it’s going to happen anyway. As a mental cue, though, I would focus on finger pressure or wrist snap rather than “twist the wrist” or “twist the forearm”.

Keep in mind I was just describing how Webb throws it. Everyone throws the sinker differently and still achieve the same movement.

Kevin Brown used a similar grip. He has the ball facing 3B however.