Awesome Baseball Workout Website!

If you’re looking for a workout to do this off-season go to www.gatoradeperformance.stack.com

I’ve been doing the workout for 3 weeks and I already feel stronger.

Check it out for sure!

could you summarize this website and explain what you like most about and what results you have seen?

well i’ll give you my workout for this week.

Monday:
DB Squat to Press: 1x8, 1x6, 3x4
Lateral Step-up: 1x8, 1x6, 2x4
Single-Arm DB Bench: 1x8, 1x6, 3x4
Weighted Chin-up: 1x8, 1x6, 3x4
Weighted MB Push-up: 4x6
Barbell Bent-over Row: 4x6
DB Forearm Curls: 3x20 each arm
Overhead MB slams 3x6
MB Russian Twist 3x10

Wednesday:
Clean Pull 1x5 @60% of hang clean max, 1x3 @75%, 2x2 @ 85% and 92%, 1x1@ 95%
Upright Row: 4x6
Physioball Shoulder Y,L,T,W 3x10
Towel Dumbbell Curls 4x6
Overhead Tricep Extension 4x6
Weighted Sit-up w/ Rotation 3x12
Alternating V-up 3x15
Weighted Back Hypers w/ Rotation 3x8

Friday:
DB Walking Lunge 1x8, 1x6, 3x4
RDL 4x6
Single-Arm DB Incline 2x6, 2x4
Towel Pull-Up 1x8, 1x6, 3x4
Weighted Dips 4x6
Band Abducted External/Internal Rotation 3x15 each way
Plate Holds 3x45 seconds
MB Rotational Throws 3x6
Side Crunch 3x15

just a couple things that jumped out at me…

you have a LOT of exercises on monday. My feeling is that if you have more than 5-6 exercises in a workout and you can complete it in under an hour you are either

A) going to burn yourself out in no time

or much more likely

B) not going hard enough on each exercise

also, why in the world would you do upright rows, and FOR LOW REPS?!?!

this is one of the worst positions you can place your shoulder in (fully internally rotated humerus being jammed up against acromion process) and is just asking for shoulder problems. Don’t believe me? read Cressey’s shoulder saver series on T-nation.

I wouldn’t rely on one source to completely dictate what you do in your offseason workout.

I would read all of the baseball stuff on stack.com first.
also check out t-nation.com, elitefts.com, defrancostraining.com, and some of the archives on this forum. Theres so many different programs and templates out there and you need to make sure your doing the one that is completely right for you.

As usual, that is too much work.

Mark Rippetoe’s Starting Strength is a much better program for novice lifters.

where can i get the starting strength workout from?

The basic workout is a Mon-Wed-Fri routine which looks like this:

Workout A:
-Back Squat
-Bench Press
-Power Clean

Workout B:
-Back Squat
-Overhead Press
-Deadlift

You alternate A/B every workout session and add weight every workout to every lift until you hit a plateau. It’s simple and trains your entire body extremely well. All lifts are done 3x5 except the deadlift (1x5) and the power clean (5x3).

For more, you should buy the book. It’s well worth it at $30. It’s called “Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training” by Mark Rippetoe.

Some of those exercises should probably be modified for baseball use, but that’s something we can discuss after you’ve read the book and understand it.

For more about why I think your program is too much work, I wrote a blog post about overtraining here:

http://www.drivelinemechanics.com/2009/10/20/1093212/training-overtraining-or-what-i

It’s a real problem in HS.

might want to get checked by a physical therapist first. we went on the dl with strained lower back issues from heavy lifting. my guy does no squatting or olympic lifting of any kind. his back is always supported when he lifts. doing generic (often called meathead) lifting programs can prove to be a problem if you do them seriously.

if you just lift to be lifting, any of them will get you 70% of where you want to be and then you’ll plateau. lifting, stretching and nutrition is a game in and of itself. the problem is it is a major contributor at the higher levels. without it you do not have a chance to be really good. took my guy from 155 to 190 in 2.5 years. it is the difference.

[quote=“dusty delso”]might want to get checked by a physical therapist first. we went on the dl with strained lower back issues from heavy lifting. my guy does no squatting or olympic lifting of any kind. his back is always supported when he lifts. doing generic (often called meathead) lifting programs can prove to be a problem if you do them seriously.

if you just lift to be lifting, any of them will get you 70% of where you want to be and then you’ll plateau. lifting, stretching and nutrition is a game in and of itself. the problem is it is a major contributor at the higher levels. without it you do not have a chance to be really good. took my guy from 155 to 190 in 2.5 years. it is the difference.[/quote]

Ditto on the nutrition being the missing element. I was 174 at the beginning of the summer, got to 180-81 fairly fast, but over two months later I was still at that weight…I re-assessed my caloric intake (not the foods I was eating, they were good choices and I was as lean as you can imagine) and it turns out I was falling short by about 750-1,000 calories a day!

Well, 2 weeks ago I changed that and I’ve gone from 184 to 187-188 in that time. No doubt in my mind I’ll be pushing 200lbs by the end of 2009, and it’s due mostly to the change in caloric intake.

And Dusty I just want to ask what was the goal of your strength training? Obviously to get stronger, but did your training work on getting quicker or more explosive too? What’s Dylan’s vertical jump like? 40 times? I find this is a good indicator of my progress, not just raw numbers. Example I’ve added about 3 inches to my vertical since the summer and can now dunk. Much different from adding 100 lbs to a leg press and not being able to transfer it. just wondering.

and to make this post even longer than it already is…

as Jim Dixon noted (and I have not been able to get my hands on his book, but have been able to absorb a fair amount of his material and some videos from setpro) elite players use their bodies differently than low-level players. This is why many elite players can “Get away” with fluff programs (not implying Dylan or anyone is doing a fluff program) - they have the mechanics and the general strength to excel anyway. Does it mean they could improve even more with a proper program? sure, but in their situatin they dont see the ends and justifying the means, as they are already excelling. I don’t think the same holds true for a HS kid, or just about anyone who is not already excelling at a major league level.

hey guys,

just a quick update.
I’m just gonna make some changes to the workout to make it more pitcher specific you could say. Example: changing upright rows for 4x6 to 3x10. etc.

Lanky, Kyle…good stuff!
Carlos Zambrano illistrates this clearly, after he signed for half of Chicago, he went off of the conditioning program the Cubs had him on. He was fragile as china all year and his record just sank, so he didn’t “get away” with anything but maybe we should all send him a card for showing us what quality conditioning produces…that and perhaps some Prozac to chill him out a smidge.