Average Workouts:

Just looking for a general census on this topic but we all speak so much about lifting, plyos, running, jumping, fielding, hitting, throwing but I was curious to see how much everyone dedicates to baseball in a single day or week?

When did you guys start training hard?

What are some goals you guys have?

I’d lead off, me personally. about three months ago I started dedicating myself to the game more than ever. I’m currently running for 20 minutes 4 mornings a week (HITT). Lifting 5 days a week taking about an hour to an hour and a half daily. Then once I’m home I’ll either do agility drills, plyos for about a half hour. Then I’ll do some hitting off a tee in my basement followed by some fielding drills.

My short-term goals are usually related to the weight room and increasingly lifts or sprint times. My long term goals are to one day play college baseball and hopefully win a state high school title.

Another question, as you guys gain knowledge and information about these topics do you find it hard to listen to unknowledgable people? I find it increasingly hard to listen to someone tell me I should be benching 3 times a week or squating 100 lbs. for 72 reps. It seems almost as though the more I learn the less knowledge I see among people.

The internet is your best friend. You need to read about 5 or 6 articles on a subject and find what everyone is saying and (most of the time) it is the right one. Westside For Skinny B@stards is a great workout to follow. He lays it out prety well there. Like how often to squat, bench, etc. And how you shouldn’t squat every week and you should be doing other leg workouts, like deadlifts for example.

Hey, sorry if I gave you the wrong impression by this thread Bower, but I’m not really looking for advice, just wanting to see how the general population felt about everything.

this is really just out of curiousity rather than advice hunting.

thanks anyway though.

Yeah I knew why you created it but you threw in that last paragraph so I decided to put my imput on it. Sorry.

[quote]Another question, as you guys gain knowledge and information about these topics do you find it hard to listen to unknowledgable people? I find it increasingly hard to listen to someone tell me I should be benching 3 times a week or squating 100 lbs. for 72 reps. It seems almost as though the more I learn the less knowledge I see among people.
[/quote]

Yes and no. I think that closing yourself off in any way is dangerous just because there are so many different ways to achieve something. The more you learn to mix and match, I think the more effective you become as an athlete. This is not to say that all advice carries the same weight - obviously you need to remain a bit skeptical and take things in a semi-academic sense. Listening to an idiot is still a waste of time, but it might be worth it to read articles and books by strength coaches that completely differ from your perspective.

In broader terms, most of the general public know absolutely nothing about strength or fitness. However, they will try to give advice or talk down on methods that are proven to work. Go into any commercial gym in the US and you’ll see lines around all the cardio stations or the machines, but the squat racks and dumbbell areas are deserted.

I throw 4 -5 times a week. Throwing sessions run up to 2 hours long.

I workout on my own 5 days a week for one hour sessions. I am forced to attend a saturday team conditioning as well for 2 hours

Baseball practice every sunday for 2 hours.

I spend about 2 -4 hours a day studying the setpro archives, making side-by-sides of high level throwers and studying my clips.

so about 4-6 hours a day is related to baseball in some way. I’m always reading and trying to learn as much as I can.

The absolute best resources in my opinion are t-nation.com and setpro.com. There is so much information I think I’ve made my way through about 1/8 of all the threads on the setpro archives in 4 months.