Average velocity for a 15 year old

Hello im 15 years old and throwing low 80’s is this above average, average, or below average thx

Way above average. I threw mid-90s mph in college and pro ball, but at 15 I was throwing 78 to 80. If you’re low 80s, you’re throwing ched!

haha thx btw wat did you do to get urself to throw harder did u workout or did you just grow into more speed?

Hey man, you are above average, I’m 15 and I throw mid 70’s tops. Then again I’m a knuckleball practitioner.

Yeah, above average. I throw mid 70’s as well. But back in November i threw 65 TOPS. But since I started working out and becoming serious about pitching, It has jumped. Hopefully it keeps increasing :smiley:

im 13 about to turn 14 in a month and i throw mid 70’s is this a good speed for my age

Everyone worrys about speed it’s very annoying

Without a doubt this is the boys version of the girls am i fat?

[quote=“Bower”]Everyone worrys about speed it’s very annoying
Without a doubt this is the boys version of the girls am i fat?[/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Amen Roger, :lol: :lol:

ya well u guys are wrong speed is the most important thing scouts in the pros look for: bat speed, throwing speed, foot speed, etc. But, if your a pitcher the most important thing is an explosive arm if you dont throw hard you dont have a chance that is y everyone wonders

True and a lot of that will come with age and maturity. I’m just saying you can’t worry about it. You have to focus on getting everything down b/c once you get that speed then you’ll have that command that you need to make it farther in your career. Oh it’s definitely important people just worry about it too much.

Didn’t mean speed wasn’t important. Just thought the “Am I fat?” thing was funny.

Ok this is really really annoying. Everyone wants to know how fast they should be throwing. A helpful hint would be if your getting rocked your probally slow. If people have trouble hitting you you’re probably at a good speed. But still what does it really matter. If your a good pitcher you’ll have good speed. You can always have more just seriously stop asking about it. If you really had drive to be a good pitcher you would always want to get faster so you would have no need to know if your ahead of your age or not.

well neway i just thought of this and thought some people would be interested i played for Butler High School in NC and we played against thge South Caldwell Spartans and we faced Madison Bumgarner (10th overall pick out of high school by the giants) and thought some people would be interested in how he threw and stuff

Husky after talking to you on Aim I think you need to stop throwing as hard as you can each pitch because you will get injured sooner or latter. And the only reason your velocity is low 80’s is because you do that and it’s not healthy velocity isn’t that important.

Yeah, a guy from the town I was born in, Spanish Fork, Utah got drafted by the Cubs not too long ago, he hurt himself by throwing too hard, he was a Junior throwing 98 and then got himself hurt.

You know, if you mix speeds though you don’t have to have the fastest pitch there is, if you don’t mix speeds then your heat means nothing, because everyone is ready to swing.

“If you really had drive to be a good pitcher you would always want to get faster so you would have no need to know if your ahead of your age or not.”

Very true. However, I disagree with you’re assertion that if you’re getting rocked you’re slow, and if your opponents have toruble hitting you than you’re at a good speed, whatever that is.

There are many successful pitchers at every level of the game who get outs with guile and savvy, not speed. Maddox and Moyer leap to mind, though you’ll find successful meatballers at every level. On the other hand, even guys who throw in the mid 90’s get rocked if they’re just grooving it.

That being said, speed is the holy grail of pitching. More speed means you have more weapons. A pitcher who throws with outstanding velocity and can back it up with a rub-your-eyes-in-disbelief change-up is going to be unhittable. And as several have said in their posts, speed is what everyone is looking for.

Knowing where you are in relation to others with whom you may be competing is important, and those who are asking are looking for ways to out-compete those others. It can be an emotional boost to know that you are ahead of the game, or an inspirational kick in the behind if you aren’t.

If you have positive input, like the quote I pulled, then by all means voice it. But try to stay positive.

Thanks.

I just turned 13 and I throw mid 70’s too. I was wondering if that is good speed for my age too.

I just turned 13 and I throw mid 70’s too. I was wondering if that is good speed for my age too.[/quote]

Depends on what level you play at. If you are playing 13u select, that’s competitive. If youre playing YMCA ball (or Pony as we call it around here) that’ll get you the bottom half of just about every lineup you face. Mix in some off-speed stuff and you can make the whole lineup cry for mercy.

REal world is that at 14 in competitive leagues, everyone can hit the fastball, its just a matter of timing it. So off-speed stuff becomes critical to success. Keep working on your velo, it gives you a great tool in tight situations, but the off speed stuff is what is going to be your out pitch as you get older. And it makes your fastball look that much faster!

Good luck and have fun!

AND let me chime in here, at 18 playing the highest levels of compo…even a kid who throws 94 can get hit, my son just last Tuesday went up against the #2 (In my weblog I said 5, but have since learned different) rated team in the nation, the opposing pitcher was 18 and just signed to go to Arizona State (Pray you are THAT good) and throwing a consistent 94 with a funky arm angle. He mowed em down for 5 innings but in the fifth we were able to string together several hits and scored a couple of runs…Good hitters will figure out how to hit anyones fastball…On a given day…remember the hitter is considered Great! if he hits it 3 out of 10 times…

Hose! How is your son? We haven’t heard for a while…