Average speed?

What is the average speed of a fastball for a 14 just turned 15 year old?

i’m almost 16 now but that’s the last time i checked at our last practice. I was just recovering from an injury and it was in the low 60’s. Now i think i’m in the low to mid 70’s.

Check
Other
Threads
Ma Dude

70s is normal, good ones break 80. elite guys are mid 80s with a quality 2nd pitch.

the difference when you reach this level is the quality 2nd pitch. and sometimes the 2nd pitch is not there (you don’t have your breaking ball). i encourage developing 3 quality pitches (one must be the fastball) so if one of your alternate pitches is not working, you still have a chance to change speeds (unless you throw extremely hard, EXTREMELY). trying to get high school guys to throw more than 3 quality pitches for strikes is a reach in my opinion.

if you can pitch backwards with average stuff you can get people out,

fast enough that the other team can’t hit it

[quote=“dusty delso”]70s is normal, good ones break 80. elite guys are mid 80s with a quality 2nd pitch.

the difference when you reach this level is the quality 2nd pitch. and sometimes the 2nd pitch is not there (you don’t have your breaking ball). i encourage developing 3 quality pitches (one must be the fastball) so if one of your alternate pitches is not working, you still have a chance to change speeds (unless you throw extremely hard, EXTREMELY). trying to get high school guys to throw more than 3 quality pitches for strikes is a reach in my opinion.

if you can pitch backwards with average stuff you can get people out,[/quote]

I don’t know, I would say high 60’s is a better estimate for an average 14 yr old velocity, maybe topping at 70. When I was 14 I was mid-high 60’s and one of the hardest throwers in my age group. Granted, I didn’t play in the most competitive leagues out there, but this still says something. I think it’s extremely hard to believe any 14 yr old could hit mid 80’s, unless they’re some freak of nature (Zumaya?).

[quote=“LankyLefty”][quote=“dusty delso”]70s is normal, good ones break 80. elite guys are mid 80s with a quality 2nd pitch.

if you can pitch backwards with average stuff you can get people out,[/quote]

I don’t know, I would say high 60’s is a better estimate for an average 14 yr old velocity, maybe topping at 70. When I was 14 I was mid-high 60’s and one of the hardest throwers in my age group. Granted, I didn’t play in the most competitive leagues out there, but this still says something. I think it’s extremely hard to believe any 14 yr old could hit mid 80’s, unless they’re some freak of nature (Zumaya?).[/quote]

I don’t really know the exact numbers, but I would guess that a good 14 year old should be throwing, in a game, around upper sixties, topping out in the lower 70’s. If your 14 and touching 73,74, that’s really good. A solid 15 year old, I think, should be throwing low to mid 70’s in game. Touching 75 and 76 is pretty good, I think.

Those are just guesses from personal experience. Although the numbers are probably off a bit, whether too hard or too, slow, I’m not sure. Often those are the numbers people use when talking about their speed.

Oh, and I actually know of a pair of kids who broke 80 when they were 12. They were both done growing. One hit 80 on a radar gun, the other 84. But I do not know what the gun was. And I heard it by word of mouth, so the story may have been stretched. I spoke to one recently, and he said he was at mid 80’s as a 14 year old. I haven’t seen him pitch since he was 13 though. He was 6’0" 155lbs. as a thirteen-year-old.

Oh, and on a side-note, I know one of them had no control as a 13-year-old, and had no off-speed. good teams could rip’em.

I don’t know if that information helps, or if I just kind of babbled on awhile.