Average speed for 7 year old?

A valuable quote :

“Kids today pitch too much and don’t throw enough.”

Keep up the fun!!

Cheers;

O

add training to the quote. if you don’t learn to love training as much as the bullpen mound and throwing, i do not see how you can stay healthy throwing the amount an elite pitcher throws.

at 7 most kids don’t pitch. usually start kid pitch at 9.

7 yr old kid pitch would be a frustrating game. i told my guy to cover second when he was 7 and he laid over the base with his arms and legs out.

the most important component of 7 yr old baseball is making absolutely sure there are treats after the game and a snow cone/suicide pass at the concession stand.

[quote=“dusty delso”] i told my guy to cover second when he was 7 and he laid over the base with his arms and legs out.
[/quote]

That’s classic!!! Big belly laugh out of that one! Thanks, DUsty!!!

It’s also classic 7 year old baseball. HAS to be fun, and that’s ALL it has to be.

At the same time I appreciate the enthusiasm of the 7 yr old’s dad or coach or whoever it is. The important thing is to keep the young man’s enthusiasm up. Take him to games. Educate him in all of baseball. Get him some autographs. Go to minor league games. Much more fan friendly and accessible to players. Emphasize fun. It’ll be contagious to you and the whole family too!!

Cool stuff!!

Cheers;

O

We should all live vicariously through our children and push them past acceptable limits so one day they will make the big $$ and pay for daddy

or trying and get them to hollywood so they can be a movie star

:roll:

[quote=“MaineBall”]We should all live vicariously through our children and push them past acceptable limits so one day they will make the big $$ and pay for daddy

or trying and get them to hollywood so they can be a movie star

:roll:[/quote]

You can always get a lump sum for selling your children.

To the original poster (Giants Rule!),

Looks like you’ve taken a beating here. I think a good point has been made against being concerned about the velocity of really young children. But I don’t think that point needed to be made so brutally. I hope you’ll stick around and ask more questions.

thats rly good. I was touching 54 occasionally when i turned 8(but i have always been HUGE, so dont base that off me unless hes also BIG)

[quote=“Giants Rule!!!”]What would you guys consider fast for 7 year olds? I know a kid that is 7 and throws 48 mph, tops. He will be eight in a week. I just wanted to know if this is average for his age or not.

Thanks[/quote]

My son is 13 and has been pitching since age 9. To this day, I have never used a radar gun and I have no idea how hard he throws. My concern is his control, mechanics, and learning how to pitch. He concentrates more on location and mixing up his pitch speeds than he does pure speed. I can tell you that there are pitchers in our league that throw harder, but none with more control. What good is a 48mph fastball at age 7 if you walk 5-7 batters a game and throw wild pitches with runners on base?

You are absolutely right, being able to throw strikes is the most important part of pitching but eventually speed does become the next part of the equation when mechanics and location have become second nature. Radar guns dont give you a good indication of velocity but do give you a good idea of how you are taking off speed from your fastball to your change up.

Since the OP was in 2005, this could have been the year that GiantsRule!'s son dominated all of Little League as a 12 yo fireballer.

It would be interesting to know whether the kid is still even playing baseball, etc, etc.

What is OP and who is GiantsRule?

OP = original post (the one that started this thread)

“GiantsRule!!!” is the person who started this thread in 2005.

Ah I see, my kid may know all the terms but I don’t thanks.

[quote=“Orygun”]A valuable quote :

“Kids today pitch too much and don’t throw enough.”

Keep up the fun!!

O[/quote]

completely agree. they focus too much on pitching and not on having fun. has for the gunning at 7. thats crazy.im 13 and probably wont get clocked till high school. i think a kid should get gunned at 12-14 years old. thats also when tehy should start pitching competively which is what i did.

i believe i throw 53-57 and top out at like 59mph. i got amaing control though which why i dont need velocity

I was on jv for my high school team last year and still haven’t gotten gunned. If I had to guess, I maybe was throwing in the mid to lower 70’s, which is relatively slow for highschool, but i still went 4-1 and threw 3 complete games. If you can spot your fastball and have an effective change-up, you can be an effective pitcher for a long time.

huemy,

Can you provide the stats for your team, or even just yours. I never miss a chance to check out stats and compare them with what I have for that same level, and it isn’t very often I get to look at JV numbers. I printed off the pitching stats for last season’s JV team, or at leas what I have, for you to look at and maybe get an idea about how others at your level were doing.

Take a look, and if you have any questions at all, pleas don’t hesitate to ask. BTW, the player Rathgen sounds a lot like you from your description of yourself. He pitched on the fall ball V team and did just as well too.
http://www.infosports.com/scorekeeper/images/4HUE.pdf

Really, people gun 7 year olds? :roll:

My son is not quite 7 1/2 yet but our of curiosity I put a gun on him. He lived at 50mph but hit 51mph once. He plays 9U and strikes most of the kids out. When he hits them…they cry. He is big though. 80lbs.

I know people were getting onto you thinking its ridiculous to gun them but what if the kids is having a blast and loves baseball? Has older sibling(s) that play baseball and they are just curious to know their speed? Nothing wrong with it in the right circumstances.
I was trying to find a world record on 7 year old pitch. My son just threw 53. It’s possible people!! He’s 7 almost 8. He also is hitting homeruns/over the fence. His very first (machine pitch) travel ball team game he hit it over the fence almost to the next field. May I note this is his first year playing baseball? He’s only ever played soccer. Anything is possible. Some of these kids are born with some amazing God given talent!

He ended up hitting 55mph at 7. He plays major ball in North Carolina with the big boy clubs. They’re nationally ranked and such. 11 now and he has thrown 66mph but has been battling growth plate issues in the elbow for three years now. Too much velo, in my opinion. He is currently taking the fall off to see if it will continue to heal, but until he hits puberty, it won’t matter. Be extra careful with him. Their little arms are fragile.