ATP Energy System Question

Hey everyone,

I have been trying to build up my AtP energy system lately, as it is good for baseball with explosiveness.
However, i have also been walking an hour in the mornings 3 times a week to burn fat, and it has been working.
I am 5 foot 8 and 155lbs, not fat , like 13-14% bodyfat.

My question is, will walking change my energy system to anaerobic? I do not go fast enough so that i breath hard, but a brisk pace.

Thanks for any input.

How old are you? If you’re in high school or college, then the walking might be waste. It would seem more beneficial and time efficient to just incorporate high intensity work into your training. By doing so, you should be able to get your body fat to 10 percent or below which is ideal for elite athletes.

[quote]My question is, will walking change my energy system to anaerobic? I do not go fast enough so that i breath hard, but a brisk pace.
[/quote]

As I understand it, No. In order to build stores in your anaerobic system, you need to do intense short burst exercises and interval training.

I posted this on your other thread, but here it is again.

All energy systems generate ATP, which is the fuel for muscle contraction.

The intensity and length of activity determines which energy system is the primary producer of ATP.

For bouts of exercise or activity 3 minutes and longer, ATP is produced via oxidative phosphorylation, which is part of aerobic respiration and involves glycolysis, the Krebs Cycle and the Electron Transport Chain.

In an anaerobic environment (lacking oxygen) there are two primary forms of ATP production.

For bouts of moderate to intense exercise or muscle activity lasting from about 30 to 180 seconds, the glycolytic energy system is employed. Glycolysis produces a small fraction of the ATP that oxidative phosphorylation does, and results in the formation of lactic acid within the muscle.

Creatine comes into play in the third energy system: the ATP-PC system, which is used primarily during bouts of intense exercise lasting less than 30 seconds.

some sources have subcategories within each of these, or use slightly different terminology. For example: The ATP-PC (phosphocreatine) system is also called the phosphagen system. Read more here:

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/energy-system-development-for-powerlifting/

As with any type of training, you don’t want to perform work that will cause conflicting adaptations. This is a reason why I stopped running cross country while simultaneously trying to train anaerobically for baseball in high school. The results I got in each were dampened by the other. That being said, light cardio not done at a high volume is unlikely to negatively affect you. I walk around 2 miles a day around campus during the school year and haven’t noticed any negative effect from this on strength gains or explosiveness. Unless you’re going for 10 mile hikes multiple days per week, I wouldn’t worry.

I can agree with that. Walking won’t negatively affect your anaerobic systems. However, you would probably be better served to perform an aerobic phase to your training, raising your aerobic systems level. Then begin an anaerobic training phase to boost your anaerobic systems stores.

I disagree that there should be any kind of focus on aerobic training. I’m not saying that no conditioning should be done, but it should be limited to anaerobic endurance training - periods of high intensity followed by short rest periods. Why would a pitcher ever purely train his aerobic capacity when he has to throw 15-20 pitches followed by a 10 minute rest - and repeat this up to 9 times? I have seen pitchers with awful aerobic capacity absolutely deal, sitting 90+ for 8 or 9 innings without having any problems with having to stop to catch their breath, or slowing down because of poor aerobic endurance.

What’s useful is training the body to be able to maintain a maximum power output (anaerobic system) over the course of an entire game. I can’t tell you for sure how much these circuit actually aid in velocity maintenance, but I can certainly tell you that pure aerobic training (steady state cardio) makes little sense in comparison.

Walking is transportation. Treating it as “exercise” is probably what’s wrong with America.

Well said Kyle

Lamky, I can agree that training for pitching should be highly anaerobic.

However, don’t you think that building a strong aerobic base using interval training can reduce recovery times in pitchers, especially during long and taxing innings? Or do you think this can be achieved through anaerobic high intensity iintervals?

To answer that question, you must read and understand all of this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tag/aerobic-training

Enjoy!

Read it twice. Thanks a lot Kyle. That was interesting. :?

I have been annoyed by this problem for a long time,so thank you for your post, it is really useful for me.

http://www.mmolive.com/ and http://www.mmohome.com are good places for you to enjoy more happy

If you have access to a pool you can really get an intense workout in. Simply swim laps with minimal rest, avoiding freestyle which can imbalance your shoulders if done to much. One of the older players on my summer team who just would come and pitch for us was still fast as lightening even though he wasnt doing formal sprint work or any other form of speed training for that matter. His secret was the pool. Just get a kickboard and some goggles. Every person is different so you need to listen to your body and if something starts barking stop. What i will do is breast stroke working on staying under as long as i can between breaths (which really helps regulate your breathing if that is an issue). Then try not to be on the sides of the pool at all get to the other side take a short breath (just getting there and heading back is best) and keep going, go until you start to feel that dead tired feeling in your muscles. Also mix in a few laps with the kickboard (you can do a normal freestyle kick for this). Get out grab a drink let the muscles rest for a sec then jump back in over in the shallow end. Then just run forward, really focus on firing off the bottom until you get to where you cant touch and stop. At this point your movement forward will have caused the water behind you to be pushing you forward still, immediately start trying to run backwards against that resistance. This will be hard but just focus on good form back straight trying to reach those legs out and push off the bottom. IF your feeling up to it after you do all that jump in the deep and and tread until you can’t as the finisher. The latter half of the workout was told to me by a 6’9" 355lb ex minor leaguer (imagine all the nagging aches and pains he had) whose career was ended by a collision at the plate (once again imagine what happened to the other guy) that knocked a cervical vertebrae out of alignment. This man told me that when he pitched in minors for the year after his hitting career ended he stayed on the swimming workouts and was never sore. Just moving in water offers non weight baring resistance to all the muscles and when done at a high intensity i havent found a more satisfying workout. As with everything though if you use poor technique or try to push through pain it can be bad. Just a thought… try it for a few days and see how it feels, if you don’t like it don’t do it everyones body is different

I can see pool work being beneficial potentially as a recovery tool for older or much larger players who can’t take the wear and tear on their joints that younger players can. It makes sense the two people mentioned that loved swimming were either old or 6’9" 355lbs…this kind of workout isn’t going to develop or even help to maintain power for reasons already mentioned in this article, but it may be beneficial in that it replaces what, for some (old/big/overweight/injured people) might be contraindicated activities.

So if you have a chronic knee injury and can’t do sprint work, I think this is a good alternative, but for healthy young athletes trying to improve their speed and explosiveness, this doesn’t have to be a primary form of conditioning.