At What Point Front Hip Moves Forward?

At what point should the front hip move forward? What point relative to front foot/leg lift and the front foot/leg coming down?

If the front foot is coming down, then that is too late. It’s not going to generae enough momentum and it makes you slow to the plate giving base runners too big of a jump.

I like to see the hips start forward before peak of knee lift. How much before depends on functional strength and flexibility.

Thanks Roger, again. I’m going to have him do some off season lunge drills in the garage once fall travel ball ends.

Check out the Hersheiser Drill, posted throughout the forum. Great drill to get the hips moving.

when you get to the top of your wind up or leg lift, the balance point as some call it, the hips are the first move to the plate. MANY will lead with their soulders or work very hard to keep the shoulders over the hips as they move to the plate. i do not see this in high performance, late rotating pitchers. the later you rotate, the harder you throw and closer you release the ball to the plate. not uncommon for a hard thrower to drag 2-3 feet from the rubber before they release the ball WAY out in front of their head.

Great Topic and interesting points. Here is my .02.

The HIPS take the path of a Racetrack

Straight Stretch (1-2.)

1. I think the hips begin moving forward before reaching max height, roughly .75% of lift (general estimate and by no way absolute).
  2. I like to see the hips coil slightly and if not, close off as the hip begins to move forward.

1st Turn on the track
3. As the hips begin moving forward they should remain closed as long as possible until the ankle/back knee begins to turn downward towards the ground and hip is internally rotated (begins facing towards the plate). At about the time the rear knee is turning downward the front knee will begin opening towards the plate. It is at this time their is a slight push or extension of the back leg.

2nd Straight stretch

1. As the front foot braces the weight is shifted to the front side and the energy is going from the back hip into the front leg. As the energy moves down (1.5 x the total body weight in force approx.) The leg begins straightening and transferring the energy up the chain. The hips are actually moving forward (pay attention to the knees closing in distance).

Last turn on the track and head for the finish line

1. The back hip begins rotating around the front hip.

Again, just my .02