Article: The Hazards of Long-Toss

Thought you all might like to discuss this article:

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/phillies/20100505_Bill_Conlin__Exposing_the_hazards_of_long-tossing.html

I sort of agree about long toss. In my personal opinion i feel it does nothing for your arm that will better you on the mound. I used to long toss in high school and would sometimes wind up with a sore arm. I don’t know maybe i over did it a little before the game even started? I stopped long tossing my sophomore year in high school and do not plan on it any time soon. The farthest i through is 60.5 feet.

Those pitchers mentioned may have stopped long tossing in the big leagues, because once the MLB season begins, it’s so darn long and grueling that the key to being successful is conserving your bullets as much as it is about staying in tip-top physical and mental shape.

But it’s still likely all these pitchers long tossed on their way to the big leagues (and in the off-season, of course), just like nearly every other MLB pitcher, minor league pitcher, college pitcher I played with and against over my career.

LMAO Bill Conlin.

That’s freaking hilarious.

I can’t imagine not long tossing. I can’t.

So how come we don’t see lengthy tirades against what real scientists have determined to be the “Actual” reason that arm injuries are higher than ever…??
Over-use and incorrect or poor rest would insult people with lots of money…why not just find a boogieman…a decade ago it was the curve/breaking ball, now it’s long toss and the towel drill. This guy is a parrot and makes no interesting or new comments…

[quote=“jdfromfla”]So how come we don’t see lengthy tirades against what real scientists have determined to be the “Actual” reason that arm injuries are higher than ever…??
Over-use and incorrect or poor rest would insult people with lots of money…why not just find a boogieman…a decade ago it was the curve/breaking ball, now it’s long toss and the towel drill. This guy is a parrot and makes no interesting or new comments…[/quote]

In my opinion, if you’re looking for an excuse NOT to long toss (and you use these kinds of articles or take Dick Mills’ comments out of context to back up your beliefs), then you’re really just looking for excuses not to work hard, not to push yourself to be your best, not to break down barriers. It’s a loser mentality, and it’s certainly contradictory to what MLB pitchers do (they long toss, people).

I long toss as much as I can doing the off-season and it has shown up this season - guys that didn’t do it and are kind of lazy in practice are starting to have arm problems. These guys have pitched the same number of innings as me (not many) - but for some reason that haven’t worked on maintaining their arms. Most are complaining of soreness or can’t throw very many pitches without getting tired. They also don’t throw too many side-pens on their own.

Long-toss is good in my opinion. BTW - my high school has went to 3 game series (back, to back, to back) - & this is gruelling enough - I couldn’t imagine playing over a hundred games like the pros.