Article on using the hips to get more out of yourself

http://danblewett.com/2011/03/pitching-mechanics-hip-bump-energy-angle/

Pretty interesting stuff that seems to make sense. Haven’t gotten a chance to try out some of this stuff myself but definitely going to play with it. What does everyone think?

I think we’re talking about the “Hershiser” drill here. This is one of the drills you’ll find on the NPA site and also here. It aims to get the hips fully involved, and it’s a key component of what I call “The Secret”—something I learned about a long time ago from watching how the Yankees’ Big THree pitching rotation of the late 40s to the mid-50s did it. What those guys—Allie Reynolds, Vic Raschi and Ed Lopat—were doing was driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, and the hips were the connection between the lower and upper halves of the body. By doing this they were generating more power behind their pitches; there was a continuous flow of energy through the body to the shoulder and the arm, and so they were able to throw harder with less effort, taking a lot of pressure off said shoulder and arm.
And this is the real key to a pitcher’s power. Even Lopat, who was not a fireballer by any stretch of the imagination, was able to throw harder with less effort—a key element of deception, because what he was actually doing was taking a lot off his pitches. So if you want to get your whole body into the action, this is a good place to start. And you don’t even need any special equipment—just a fence or a wall.
I remember how I saw just what they were doing and how they were doing it, and I made a note of it and worked on it on my own. The results were fantastic. And later on Lopat, who had become my pitching coach in the early 50s, helped me refine the move. 8)

EXACTLY!!! :clapping: