Article: Explosiveness Training & Specificity

Below is a link to a very good article on Explosiveness Training as well as Training Specificity. There are some very interesting statements here.

Rather than posting just the text of the article here, I thought the link would be better since you can then see the images contained.

http://cis.squirming.net/category/strength_and_conditioning/242/#5

Excellent article and find!

Scientific reference is key, and there sure is a lot in that article.

I’ll be reading it in depth shortly (just read paragraph headings, and skimmed).
What exactly would you call a very interesting statement?

I assume it’s something that would be considered controversial, just didn’t catch anything right off.

[quote=“centerfield2150”]What exactly would you call a very interesting statement? I assume it’s something that would be considered controversial, just didn’t catch anything right off.[/quote]I’m not sure how controversial any of it is. Here are a few things I found interesting. Of course, you need to read the article to get the proper context of all of these.

I think this should be stickied:

[quote]
Evidence indicates that the combination of typically aerobic training, such as distance running, and resistance training can result in decreased maximum strength and power. Thus, if maximum levels of strength and especially power and speed are desired, then typical aerobic training should be minimised or eliminated
.[/quote]

[quote=“centerfield2150”]Excellent article and find!

Scientific reference is key, and there sure is a lot in that article.

I’ll be reading it in depth shortly (just read paragraph headings, and skimmed).
What exactly would you call a very interesting statement?

I assume it’s something that would be considered controversial, just didn’t catch anything right off.[/quote]

D.M. Good stuff! Basically in regards to training you are what you eat! Or perhaps better said you become what you eat! Thanks!

Well, then. By now I must be one really huge bean burrito. :lol:

What specific exercises/routines should we incorporate for pitchers? The article was great but did little to address specific routines or exercises.

Here’s a good list of “ground based explosive movements”

Essentially it’s the olympic lifts and their hybrids.
http://paws.wcu.edu/tjacobi/Weight%20Lifting%20Descriptions/Ground%20Based%20Explosive%20Movements/GROUND%20BASED%20MOVEMENTS.htm

Also, add in the squat, and deadlift for sure.
On these lifts the key is to drive hard with power.

Be careful with any over the head lifts, although I really enjoy the push press, which you drop the knees quick and then drive the barbell overhead from should height. Because you add a little bit of leg it feels much less stressful on the shoulder than a seated military press.