Arsenel

okay, i throw alot of pitches, and im not bragging. but you could say i have pretty much mastered all of them.
but i have been thinking, i dont need all of them. i need to master but “Perfect” atleast 4 of them. so in your oppinions wich pitches should i use? — build my arsenel.

to many pitches???
|
|
|
|
V

4-seam, 2-seam, Cutter, Changeup

A cutter is a two seam varient like a sinker.
Some colleges like fb, change and the ability to throw both the curve and the slide piece.
My son, a freshman in college headed towards his sophmore year, works both the cutter and the sinker and has a slide piece and curve with a change…on occasion he throws a 4 seamer.

I don’t think it’s possible to have too many pitches, especially if one is not particularly fast. In my playing days I didn’t have a fast ball to speak of, although I did wind up with a 81-mile-an-hour pitch that my coach told me was a fast ball for a finesse pitcher such as I was. Let me see, what did I throw?—
A pretty good curve ball that had come attached to my natural sidearm delivery…a slider that I nicknamed “Filthy McNasty” (after a character in a W.C. Fields movie) because that was exactly what it was, a pitch with a sharp late break…palm ball…circle change…a “slip” pitch, which was essentially a slider thrown with a knuckleball grip…a nice little slow curve…and anyone of those could be turned into a changeup. And of course, there was a devastating little move called the crossfire, which works only with a sidearm delivery, and I fell madly in love with it and used it so much that one day, when my pitching coach (an active major-league hurler) was helping me with my circle change, he said to me “I know you’re going to crossfire it. You use that move with everything you throw.” :slight_smile: One thing for sure: you have to have the control and command, and I worked continuously on that.