Arms

I heard yesterday that pitchers should leave there arms alone (besides rotator cuffs), and focus on lower body, core and back.

Do you agree? Thougths, comments?

Sort of. If you develop balanced upper body strength, there should be no issues. The problem is, most pitchers blast their bi’s, tri’s and chest with little focus on their scaps, which is more important by far. So I wouldn’t neglect the upper body entirely, but I would really be balanced with my approach.

I had a pitching coach, many moons ago—a guy named Ed Lopat, who was a key figure in the Yankees’ fabled Big Three pitching rotation—who had a basic premise: Every pitcher has a natural motion, and the thing to do is work with that pitcher and show him or her how to make the most of it. He firmly believed that you don’t change your arm slot or arm angle no matter what anyone tries to tell you; if you’re comfortable with it and it enables you to pitch effectively and get those outs, you stay with it.
As far as the rest of it is concerned, balance is indeed the key. I picked up, from watching him and the other members of the Big Three, something they did all the time—they would drive off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous (and, I might add, seamless) motion, thus generating the power behind their pitches—and taking a lot of pressure off said arm and shoulder. I learned to do this, and as a result I found I could throw harder and faster with less effort—the arm and shoulder were, in effect, just going along for the ride. And not a sore arm or a sore shoulder or a sore anything else in the bunch! So it’s important to get the whole body into the action and not just throw with the arm and the shoulder. :slight_smile: 8)