"Arms-Control Breakdown"

Great article on youth pitching injuries. A “must read” for all youth pitchers and their parents and coaches.

Can you cut and paste so we don’t have to get an account with the NY Times

I fixed the link. It works now.

Excellent article! I knew most but not all of the details but this articles really ties things together well. Thanks for posting the link.

Really informative article.
A good read.
I had heard of Dr. Andrews before,
but had not known much about him.

So many parents and coaches of little leaguers really need to read this article, thanks for posting it again, I have read it a few times before.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. One of the problems with these type of articles, though, ones that focus mainly on one kid, are that what so may parents take away from this is “Well that kid pitched for four teams 10 months out of the year, and my kid only pitches for three teams 9 months out of the year, so we are fine.”

Never underestimate a parents power of self delusion when it comes to our kids. :smiley:

Did they ever cite how many TJ surgeries total are being performed in the US on youths each year? I know that Andrews said he (or maybe his practice) performed something like 246 in the last 5 years. Did they ever cite how many in total are being performed?

We had a kid in our league last year who had TJ surgery. He was 13. Of course he was a big strong kid, so you know he was indestructible. Had another kid who stressed his growth plate in his throwing arm. He continued to play (Hey…it was All Stars!!) but just didnt pitch. It absolutely befuddled me how some parents can be so cavalier about their kids health.

After playing baseball from the beginning of Feb til the End of July, we shut our 11 year old down completely. Around the beginning of October we played catch a half a dozen times when he got a new first basemans mitt for his birthday. But other than that, no baseball at all since August 1. Its been tough, on all of us, but in the long run im glad we did it. Its the first time he didnt play fall ball since he started playing travel/All Stars 3 years ago. he got in a season of fall soccer and is getting ready for a short basketball season before baseball starts back up in Feb.

Now his body is rested and refreshed, and he is actually chomping at the bit to get back to baseball. I cant remember him ever being like that before.

[quote=“CardsWin”]Really informative article.
A good read.
I had heard of Dr. Andrews before,
but had not known much about him.[/quote]
Thanks.

If you’re interested in a more in-depth analysis by Dr. Andrews, here is a 2008 study of youth pitching injuries conducted by Dr. Andrews and other doctors and biomedical engineers, published in a medical journal a year before the New York Times article:

http://www.abe.msstate.edu/Tools/baseball/articles/Prevention%20of%20Arm%20Injury%20in%20Youth%20Baseball%20Pitchers.pdf

Also, here is the 2009 position statement of ASMI on youth pitching (Dr. Andrews is a principal of ASMI), which basically mirrors the recommendations in Andrews’ 2008 medical study:

http://www.asmi.org/asmiweb/position_statement.htm

[i]They gotta be certified delusional to think like that! :lol:

In all seriousness, I’m starting to think that what is driving parental insanity in youth sports is the perceived pot o’ gold at the end of the rainbow. That is, especially now with the horrid economy and the diminishing utility of even a college degree, more parents are seeing sports as a legitimate road to riches, a road with no more bumps than the traditional academic road.[/i]

[quote=“southcarolina”]After playing baseball from the beginning of Feb til the End of July, we shut our 11 year old down completely… Its the first time he didnt play fall ball since he started playing travel/All Stars 3 years ago. he got in a season of fall soccer and is getting ready for a short basketball season before baseball starts back up in Feb.

Now his body is rested and refreshed, and he is actually chomping at the bit to get back to baseball. I cant remember him ever being like that before.[/quote]
Bravo! You’ll be pleasantly surprised at how much stronger he will be coming off a few months of arm rest. My son took 3 1/2 months off over the summer and when we picked the ball up again for Fall Ball the increase in his velocity was stunning.

The other problem is that there appears to be little common sense around the main kid in the article. His elbow was killing him and so then he goes and pitches a complete game a week or so later which is dumb enough. Then he continues to pitch the entire summer with a sore elbow. How many other of these kids had similar stories?

I think that there is probably many other Little Leaguers with similiar stories. It seems that some parents must just not really care about their kid’s health, just about winning.

And we see this at all levels of baseball—including the major leagues! You get a dumb pitcher with arm problems of one kind or another who keeps them to himself because he wants to continue pitching, no matter what, and next thing you know—torn rotator cuff or a blown elbow, and he has to have Tommy John surgery, and it doesn’t always work. I was watching the MLB Network recently, and Harold Reynolds—one of the more intelligent and articulate analysts on the air—came right out with it and said that Joel Zumaya, who had been out of action for more than a year because of the surgery, is going to have to make drastic changes in his mechanics or else he’ll be facing surgery again. And this time he might wind up going kaput altogether.
And for what? Whether it be parents who are only concerned about winning. for whatever reason, or big-league managers who are only concerned about winning, for whatever reason, the situation is the same. I for one will never understand it. :roll: