armbands

can some give me good excersises to do with the sets and reps for useing the armbands

This site will show you some exercises but they don’t include sets/reps:

http://www.asmi.org/SportsMed/throwing/thrower10.html

is it a good idea to use arm bands? will it make my velocity go up?

http://www.thecompletepitcher.com/pitching_workouts.htm

Scroll down the the free pitching video section and click on the “tubing” video. It’s a Flash video.

Yes, it is a good idea to use arm bands. The band exercises target the rotator cuff and help increase joint integrity of the shoulder. That helps you stay injury-free. But it does not generallly increase your velocity.

We do a lot of armband workouts here at ISU, I find them beneficial but I like to do them when I get off the mound or when I am not pitching because I find that it wears my shoulders out.

Right when we get off the mound we do 1 set up 10-15 of each and then on non-mound days we do 2-3 sets depending on how much throwing we have done.

if you do more sets and more reps will that make your velocity to go up

the only way to make your speed go up is good mechanics ok not armband ok. learn how to throw explosive.

“the only way to make your speed go up is good mechanics ok not armband ok. learn how to throw explosive.”

Really? And you base this on what?

What is “throwing explosive”?
How does one acheive this charactoristic?
I don’t know anyone (With respect to dtrain) who says bands do anything except strengthen decell muscles which can only be a benefit. If it increases overall arm health why wouldn’t his velocity increase?
Why would you suggest this isn’t what he should be doing as a balanced approach to training?

yes it would be good to do but it does not increase speed on your fastball because speed doesnt come from the arm it comes from it comes from the body. its true but if you have more mass of the arm it willslow down the arm and speed will slow down because you will less explosive in one part of the chain.

yes it would be good to do but it does not increase speed on your fastball because speed doesnt come from the arm it comes from it comes from the body. its true but if you have more mass of the arm it willslow down the arm and speed will slow down because you will less explosive in one part of the chain.

stop talking…you have no idea what you are talking about…the arm throws the damn ball if you didnt notice. im not saying everything comes from the arm because it doesnt but to say that the armbands wont help is ignorant. stop posting if you dont know what you are talking about. you reply to everybody on their posts but have no evidence to support any of your claims. you seem 100% sure on each one that you are right and most of the time you are completly wrong. sorry to rant guys but this kids posts are getting on my nerves.

lol all i am saying is work on mechanics and being explosive then the velocity will come.

My understanding on the velocity issue is this. The band exercises work the rotator cuff muscles. Those muscles largely just stabilize the shoulder joint. They may figure into the acceleration of the arm a tiny bit. And they may figure into the deceleration of the arm as well. But they certainy are not the big contributor to velocity.

Now, strengthening the muscles that stabilize the joint will allow a pitcher to safely put more force on the joint. This allows the pitcher to do the other things necessary to increase velocity more significantly. So, stengthening the cuff is more of an “enabler” than a “direct contributor” to increasing velocity.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong

Thank you roger you are the man it helps in arm care not increase velocity it self. unless you have really bad prob in shoulder then it might add 1-5 mph i would think mabey only 1.

Personally, my experiences with arm bands have been great. I started using them a few months ago and them along with stengthening of my overall body I can easily tell that my stamina has gone up greatly. The arm bands work great they really conditioned my arm. This summer my plan is to wake up and do these exercises three times a week and while I’m on vacation I plan on takin an arm band along and keeping my strength up. They’re convienent and they really work. I highly recommend them.