Arm up in a powerful position questions

I will be posting a video on here, once I edit it. I have run out tonight. But I can describe my problem now. My arm is not like Roy’s when I’m at this position with my body. My forearm is parallel to the group and not stretched back like it should. How can I get to this position in an effective way?

When I say stretch back, I mean up like his and in a loaded position. Not literally straight back.

Your arm works completely different than Oswalt’s. Video yourself throwing the ball as hard as you can. Then video yourself picking up the tempo, stepping out of your comfort zone to throw the ball harder and get the body moving faster. You will see a noticeable difference. [/img]

Ideally, I’ve heard that your arm should be parallel to the ground at front foot strike. From the vague description of “power position”, you may be talking about feeling separation and getting a good scap load. If this is what you’re talking about, this boils down to separation.

Well basically. My arm never gets to the position picture above at any point in my delivery

Momentum and tempo are necessary to maximize either “scap load and separation”.

Separation also requires tempo (I’m assuming you mean good timing?) and momentum utilization. I agree with what you’re saying, I’m just listing the combination of what you’re saying and not the individual parts.

So are you saying your arm is dragging behind your body then? And by dragging I mean lagging behind the rest of your delivery?

If I recall, his arm action in the rear is very “jab” like. Very similar to Jeff Niemann’s.

Looking back at his recent mechanics video, it doesn’t look like his arm is lagging behind. It gets up to the right position when his front leg lands. However, his upper body begins to turn as his hips open. This cancels out much of the required separation to get the scap loading I think he is looking for.

So do you guys think that having a better separation will help get my arm up more?

Your arm gets into this "power position by getting good separation. Your arm should be parallel to the ground at foot strike and when your front foot lands, your hips open more. Your arm has to raise your forearm to throw (you may just get into this position late w/o scap loading), so if your arm is parallel then it takes some time before it reaches the high forearm position. During this time, your hips will have more time to open more and your arm will reach this position with a good scap load (your notion of power).

Also, I came across a great drill to instill separation in throwing. It’s called the walking torque drill by Wolforth. Start with your left leg on a line, facing the direction the line moves in. Have a ball in your right hand. Step forward with your left foot and make sure it’s directly on the line. Then take a step forward with your left foot (not on the line, but near it). Then take another step forward with your right (make sure it lands on the line) and rotate your shoulders backwards and go through your arm action, and then throw the ball. Make sure your left foot stays parallel to the line and directly over it. This will allow you to repeat your throwing with a good sense of what separation feels like and will prevent opening too early.

Sorry to throw some cold water (ice water?)on the parade here but I have exactly the same problem with my throwing. It’s a form of short arming. There’s nothing here that’s been given for advice that will correct this problem, my opinion. And this opinion is based upon my own experimentation was trying to change my arm action.

The problem is simply this is how you learned how to throw. And you’re fighting both motor learning issues as well as physiology i.e. your connective tissues in the arm, shoulder complex have adapted to a certain range of motion, flexibility if you will (internal and external range of motion).

Drills that do not specifically addressed arm action will have virtually no effect on changing the arm action again my not so humble opinion.

I was able to effect changes in the short-term i.e. I’m too old to worry about permanent changes. And these changes allowed me to increase my velocity.

As you and others are probably found out it’s not an easy task.

Do you mean right foot here?

Inquiring minds want to know… what is your velocity? Can we see a clip?

:smiley:

Regards,

Ed

Do you mean right foot here?[/quote]

yeah. its left foot then right foot then left foot.

Where’s your clip jimster?

I’ll upload them by this weekend. I have been really busy and I haven’t had to the chance to sit down and edit them into regular motion and slow motion clips

I will try to have to the videos up tonight or tomorrow morning. I’m having a few issues transferring them to YouTube so it may be tomorrow.

I posted the re-post wrong as well. :oops: here is the great drill to instill separation. It has helped me tremendously in only 2 days!

Start with your right leg on a line, facing the direction the line moves in. Have a ball in your right hand. Step forward with your left foot and make sure it’s near the line, but not on it. Then take a step forward with your right foot directly on the line. Then take another step forward with your left (make sure it lands on the line directly over it) and rotate your shoulders backwards and go through your arm action, and then throw the ball. Make sure your left foot stays parallel to the line and directly over it. This will allow you to repeat your throwing with a good sense of what separation feels like and will prevent opening too early.