Arm trouble?

y is it said that breaking pitches are hard in the arm. i find that an all out 4 seam makes me ache much more. any reason y breaking balls have bad reputations.

I honestly believe that they get bad a bad rep because coaches teach them to throw them the wrong way. Today on youtube, I came across a video of a kid, probably around 12 or 13 (I myself am 13, 14 in November), showing grips to breaking pitches. When he said curveball, he said you “karate chop” it. Wrong. You turn the wrist when it is about even with your head and follow through and extend. Also, when this way doesn’t work for some kids, rather than working at it they “snap one off” or karate chop it which puts alot of stress on the elbow. I believe in pronation on change ups because it takes some stress off the elbow.

Just my 2 cents.

The arm angle has a lot to do with it. I was eleven years old when I discovered that I had a natural sidearm delivery—and a good curve ball that came attached to it. I quickly found out that the sidearm delivery is the easiest on the arm and shoulder, and I had no problem when it came to breaking pitches—good thing, too, because I wasn’t fast, not by any stretch of the imagination, and had to go to the “snake jazz”. A little later I found an incredible pitching coach who helped me refine my stuff, and the best part was that he did not mess around with my delivery—he firmly believed that every pitcher has a natural motion, and what he did was show me how to make the most of it.
What really gets my goat is when I read about young pitchers who have all kinds of arm problems because they’re forced to do such things as—pardon the expression—throw over the top, in spite of the fact that it may not be their natural delivery. More than once I have read about a kid who gave up on the game because he was being forced to use a delivery that did not feel comfortable for him, just because a parent or a coach wanted him to do it and would not stand for anything else! So when I find out that a kid is using a pitching delivery that feels right and is comfortable for him I advise him to stick with it.
One more thing, and this I picked up from watching how the Yankee pitchers used to do it—I noticed that they were driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in a continuous, seamless motion to generate the power behind their pitches, and that doing this took a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder. This is an essential aspect of mechanics, and if more pitchers would learn to do this it would prevent a lot of problems. I picked up on this, and my coach helped me refine it the way he did with everything else. 8) :slight_smile: