Arm strengthening advice...?

Okay, here’s the deal.
So far it’s offseason here in Finland and maybe two months until the season starts.

My goal and desire is off course to have as strong arm as possible to begin the season. Strong and durable since I will get a lot of pitching duties and also shortly after the season begins we will have the Nordic Championships with the national team, so I should be in top form there too.

I keep seeing in the MLB reports and everywhere around this site too pitchers saying they’re yet building their arm strenght towards the season.
Hehe, I didn’t know such thing was even possible. As you can imagine we live dark ages of baseball here :roll: I’ve lived my life thinking that arm strenght is standard and it does not variate…

Anyway, I need your help because there’s no coaches or anybody else who would probably even know about this whole topic down here. I am very thankful if you guys can help out with the following questions:

• What do I need to do to and how often to increase my arm strength?
  • When do I need to start doing it so I can have peak results in two months?
  • How to maintain the gained strength during the season if there can be a month or more in between games?
  • How can I start building it at home with no possibilities of throwing outside for another 3 weeks or so…?

What I’m currently doing is lifting light weights and stretching every possible muscle, ligament and tissue I know. Can I do much more?

Thanks in advice guys…

Can you get outside to throw? If not, it kind of limits your choices.

If you can get outside, often, you can play long toss. Alot of long toss, and once ur comfortable, air it out. Do the long toss as often as possible, but take a day to resst here and there.

If you want to build up some velocity, you can try things like explosiveness drills, and getting your mechanics looked at by someone who knows what they are talking about, and build up your legs. Those are all ways you can increase velocity, but it wont do a whole hell of a lot if you dont get to throw on a regular basis.

[quote=“pitchking807”]Can you get outside to throw? If not, it kind of limits your choices.

If you can get outside, often, you can play long toss. Alot of long toss, and once ur comfortable, air it out. Do the long toss as often as possible, but take a day to resst here and there.

If you want to build up some velocity, you can try things like explosiveness drills, and getting your mechanics looked at by someone who knows what they are talking about, and build up your legs. Those are all ways you can increase velocity, but it wont do a whole hell of a lot if you dont get to throw on a regular basis.[/quote]

Well that is the problem. I’m alone with all my eager to throw and develop in baseball. And even if I could find somebody to throw with, it’s yet too cold outside to go and throw.
I’m not bragging with my next sentence, but another problem is that it’s hard to find anyone who does not play baseball “brave” enough to even play catch. If I throw easy without slowing down my arm, it’s already scary for most of guys. Even with all the catcher equipment it’s hard to get even my teammates to catch me so I could actually practice my mechanics and pitching.

So am I doomed? Since as I also feared the only way to get arm strenght is long toss and throwing overall? :? Isn’t there anything I can do all alone indoors?

I have naturally strong and big legs. I also played soccer, which helped me to build them even stonger. As soon as the weather allows, I will start doing running and sprints and all kinda explosive exercises. But is there anything I can do before that?

Also, there’s nobody here in Finland who knows anything about pitching and mechanics. So my only hope is you guys and these forums. As soon as possible I will make sure to get myself taped and I will post a video here. All in all there’s only two months till the seasons begin and I feel that my mechanics suck very bad so I also must start fixing them soon if I want to really be a good pitcher.

weather and space shouldnt be a deterrant if you want ot be the best…im from boston n its pretty much ascold here as its gonna get anywhere else n i throw outside almost everynight off a wall at a school up my street n its cold but if you love what ure doing it shouldnt matter or even if you are still afraid of the cold go to a sports comkplex n owrkout with a baseball instructor or throw it off a wall in a gym near you…just make sure if youre in the cold warm up good first

[quote=". a n t o n i o . ."][quote=“pitchking807”]Can you get outside to throw? If not, it kind of limits your choices.

If you want to build up some velocity, you can try things like explosiveness drills, and getting your mechanics looked at by someone who knows what they are talking about, and build up your legs. Those are all ways you can increase velocity, but it wont do a whole hell of a lot if you dont get to throw on a regular basis.[/quote]

Well that is the problem. I’m alone with all my eager to throw and develop in baseball. And even if I could find somebody to throw with, it’s yet too cold outside to go and throw.
I’m not bragging with my next sentence, but another problem is that it’s hard to find anyone who does not play baseball “brave” enough to even play catch. If I throw easy without slowing down my arm, it’s already scary for most of guys. Even with all the catcher equipment it’s hard to get even my teammates to catch me so I could actually practice my mechanics and pitching.

So am I doomed? Since as I also feared the only way to get arm strenght is long toss and throwing overall? :? Isn’t there anything I can do all alone indoors?

I have naturally strong and big legs. I also played soccer, which helped me to build them even stonger. As soon as the weather allows, I will start doing running and sprints and all kinda explosive exercises. But is there anything I can do before that?

Also, there’s nobody here in Finland who knows anything about pitching and mechanics. So my only hope is you guys and these forums. As soon as possible I will make sure to get myself taped and I will post a video here. All in all there’s only two months till the seasons begin and I feel that my mechanics stink very bad so I also must start fixing them soon if I want to really be a good pitcher.[/quote]

Well, there is one thing you can do, I myself do it when i cant find anyone to throw with. All you need is a bucket of baseballs, a wide open area outside, and an easily movable, but sturdy, target (if possible, multiple targets.
What you would do is pretty obvious.
1- set up you targets to reasonable distances (you choose what is safe for you, especially in the cold, by the way, they should be decent sized targets.
2- Get good and loose, rlllllly loose since you’ll be outside, and throw to each target, starting from the shortest to the longest (duh, lol)
3- air that $hit out! hit those targets. It not only helps you with you throwing strength, it helps with control.

If you can do this, it will help, but i am sure there are people here that have some rly great ideas too.