Arm slot 3/4 from sidearm

So basically, I had 3 private lessons with my school pitching coach, a very educated guy who pitched D1 and coaches top notch teams. We were throwing a 24 pitch bullpen and he started asking about my arm slot. I said I hadn’t always thrown like that and he asked why I changed, I didn’t really know. He suggested I work on going back to a 3/4 slot for more opportunity as I get older and better downword motion. He gave me a drill and said I drop my elbow when I’m turning it forwards the place instead of turning and going. I was wondering if this is safe as I hadn’t always made a sidearm slot and I am going to try it. Here is an older video but I have a new one with bad quality and same arm slot as new one.

What arm slot is this?

Relative to the acromial line of the shoulders - not flat ground - I’d call that sidearm.

@Roger

Would it be safe to work on bringing it back up and how?

I haven’t thrown like that until I was building up this winter

I think your current arm slot would be characterized as lower 3/4, but it doesn’t really matter what you call it. Yes, you can safely raise your arm slot. You simply have to tilt your glove side shoulder slightly downward to accommodate raising the throwing arm shoulder, The arm’s position relative to the acromial line stays the same. When you throw from the side, your glove side shoulder is roughly parallel to the ground. The higher your arm slot, the lower the glove side shoulder. The higher arm slot should not cause any additional stress on the shoulder or elbow.

There’s nothing magical about finding a perfect or natural arm slot; it’s whatever works for you. Most (though not all) high velocity guys tend to be a little more over the top. When you rotate on that axis, you can more effectively use your more powerful torso muscles through delivery. When your arm slot is lower and your shoulders are more horizontal, you rely more on your obliques to rotate your shoulders. The upside to a lower arm slot is that some guys get more movement—especially sink and run—on some pitches. So as I said, it’s whatever works best for you. Nothing wrong with experimenting a little.

One thing I would suggest to help you elevate your arm slot is to eliminate the forward bend at the beginning of your motion. Keep you posture straighter, and a higher arm slot will feel more natural than if your are fighting against an initial forward lean. Good luck.

Take care of posture, let arm slot happen. -Tom House

I share House’s philosophy.