Arm motion after hands break

This may sound like a stupid question, but I have alot of issues with my arm motion after I break my hands. It feels very uncomfortable so I’m wondering what path the throwing arm should take to deliver the ball to the plate.[/wmp]

It would help if you have a video, but I get its because your trying to stride to far, and it messes up your rhythm.

okay, ill have one up in about 10 minutes

There’s the link to the video, sorry its such low quality. I know my arm motion is really weird but thats just how it naturally is so some advice on how to fix it would be greatly appreciated. My technique used to be very good until I hurt my arm a couple of years ago and it has gone downhill since then. I have no velocity or accuracy and it feels very uncomfortable as you can probably tell from watching the video. Any constructive criticism would be appreciated. Thanks!

your rhythm does look funny. I cant pin point it. I would guess the glove side is causing the problem. At foot down glove points to first (web towards home) ball down by you hip. glide the foot and go from there.

I know, it just looks and feels awkward but I can’t really put a finger on what it is

That video appears to play faster than normal.

A video from the side and at normal speed would be best for assessing this issue.

Yeah for some reason when I converted the video it sped up. I’ll try to get one from the side

Looks like from the video you kinda cross fire, you might want to work on getting your stride to either be right in front of your post foot or a little to the right. Once you have that you can use the crossfire as an alternate delivery.

What’s crossfire?

Crossfire is when you step accross your post foot as you move toward home. Not a bad technique once you have mastered a conventional delivery and it may cause your aquward arm path.

Your arm action should be down, back, and up, with about a quarter turn of the ball as you bring your arm up. You would thus be showing the ball to the third baseman if you are right handed and to the first baseman if you are a lefty. You are taking your arm behind you and as a result struggling to get it back on plane. Taking your arm down, back , and up will keep your arm on more of a correct path. Try it slowly without throwing the ball to see what i mean. Also get your stride knee up at least to horizontal.

are u trying to “push” off the rubber

Yes, push off the rubber. Especially late in the pitch cycle, so timing of the
push is important.

Why do you say this about the arm action, could you elaborate on why yOu believe this? Thanks!

i don’t see anything i’m alarmed about in your motion. you can break the ball from the glove with a soft elbow keeping some bend or flex in the throwing elbow. feel like you are taking the ball out of your glove by pulling with the elbow instead of taking the throwing hand out of the glove if that makes sense.

and you can keep the throwing hand close to the body with a small circle in the back instead of the long stick staightening out the throwing elbow way behind your body.go on youtube and look at nolan ryan and roger clemens clips. they stayed compact and loose in the back with a pretty tight circle. greg maddux did this too.koufax allowed his arm to extend more down than back. lots of guys extend the arm horizontally instead of vertically which is hard to do and can be uncomfortable as you describe.

try it and see

I would like to see a video with an accurate time on it and I think a video from the side would help. Your uncomfortable feeling comes from poor timing. Your lower half is basically non-existent, so it doesn’t take much time to finish its stride. Your upper half is very long, so it takes a long time to finish the throw.

Naturally, what you have done to correct this problem is break your hands early. Your hands break before you even start moving toward your target. This gets you closer to matching everything up at the end of your delivery, but it allows for no stride or load in your lower half.

Ideally, hands should break on the way down the mound after the pitcher has gained some momentum.

What I would have you do if you were one of my lessons:

1. Develop some timing and rhythm - When you lift your leg, lift your hands as well. Pretend there is a string that is attach to your hands and your knee. When your hand comes up so does your knee. When your knee goes down so do your hands. As you bring your hands down start to break them apart.

2. Once you have developed some feel for the rhythm and timing, increase your stride. Be aggressive with your lower half! You have a long arm action that requires an equally long lower half.

3. Then start to address other mechanical issues.

That is where I would start. I think some of the other posts are correct in that there are mechanical issues with your arm action. However, timing is soooo much more important! Throwing a ball is a summation of forces that have to be in the right sequence to maximize velocity, movement, and control. Bad mechanics can be overcome by great timing in some cases, but great mechanics are nothing without good timing.

baseballthinktank:

I believe the arm action of down, back, and up is used by most pitchers.
It keeps one on plane better and into external rotation easier. If one
takes the arm back horizontally it is harder to get the arm back on plane.
It also gives a more direct line to the plate. Baseballer said he felt
uncomfortable the way he was throwing, my answer was an attempt to give
him an easier way to throw simply.