Arm Conditioning

What is a good timeline and routine to condition a 10U 's arm for a league starting in Feb?

He is very active. Played BB from feb to aug last. Pitched a lot and is a hard thrower. Played football, soccer, and is starting basketball for the next few months.

We currently throw a baseball 3-4 times a month now but he doesn’t know how to take it easy and ends up throwing heaters until is arm hurts! :roll:

Well defiantely he shouldn’t throw till it hurts. There are guidelines at least for pitches in a game a week you can look up.

I would let him take off till at least first week of Dec, then go 1x a week for a 40-50 pitch bull pen, ground work and whatever else you do, Do this till end of Jan then step it up to 2x until practice starts…on 2x a week I would stillonly throw 1 bullpen a week.

I would defiantely be concerned about his arm soreness, nothing makes a player throw badly quicker than pain and soreness, throw healthy, not tired and correctly all the time.

[quote=“real green”]What is a good timeline and routine to condition a 10U 's arm for a league starting in Feb?

He is very active. Played BB from feb to aug last. Pitched a lot and is a hard thrower. Played football, soccer, and is starting basketball for the next few months.

We currently throw a baseball 3-4 times a month now but he doesn’t know how to take it easy and ends up throwing heaters until is arm hurts! :roll:[/quote]

A little late, but I wouldn’t worry about off-season conditioning at this age. He’s playing plenty of sports and sounds like he’s in good physical condition. Use the off-season to let his arm rest and body grow and get stronger, and let his soul yearn to get back on the mound. He’ll be throwing faster this spring just from being a little older and bigger.

I see a huge difference every spring when we get the baseball out and my son starts throwing, after playing basketball all winter. We had LL tryouts this past weekend, and although he hasn’t thrown a baseball for over three months, he came out throwing mid 70+/- sliders for strikes. Made his stuff he threw last fall look slow. His off-season conditioning was basketball.