Arm Circles

I went to a baseball camp and a guy from Cali came all the way to PA and talked to us about a training program. It was long toss, this sort of surgical tubing (but it WAS NOT surgical tubing, it was more high-tec and advanced and such), and arm circles.

I obviously can long toss whenever I want, so that’s not a problem.

I didn’t spend the 50$ on the product although I’m interested in that sort of thing. (We did the program with the tubing for 3 days, the other kids hated it, but I loved it 8) .

And the arm circles were extremely painful. It went

1/4 forward arm circle x 25
1/2 forward arm circle x 25
3/4 forward arm circle x 25
Full forward arm circle x 25
3/4 forward arm circle x 25
1/2 forward arm circle x 25
1/4 forward arm circle x 25

Stop, then do the same thing backwards.

I’ve been doing this for about two months now and I just want to know what you guys think about this. This is good right?

Not sure I understand the “1/4 forward”, “1/2 forward” part but arm circles are excellent. I have my youth pitchers do arm circles as part of their dynamic warm-up before every game and every practice. We do small circles forward and backwards, and large circles forward and backwards. And we do all of that in three hand positions: fastball (palms down), curve ball (palms forward) and change-up (palms back). We keep the hands in front of the shoulders at all times.

I mean the arm is going 1/4 of the full extension (small arm circles). Full arm circles just means I’m extending my arms as much as possible. Foward just means my arms are moving counter-clockwise and backwards vice versa.

how come you keep the hands in front of the shoulders?

It’s something we were taught at the NPA Coach’s cert. It evidently protects the shoulder joint but I don’t claim to know shoulder anatomy that well so I can’'t give you much more than that except to say that in two years of doing arm circles in the manner I described we had no injuries.

Yeah alright that must meen something though lol. Ill take it. I usually do them with a scalp load

What happens when you do arm circles is you secrete synovial fluid from the synovial membrane in the synovial joint. The synovial fluid acts like a lube for your shoulder socket, lubricating the joint and connective tissue around it. The synovial fluid reduces friction and cushions these cartilages during movement.

So bakersdozen shoulder circles are good to do. That many of them seems like overkill, but if you arm is feeling better than ever keep at it.

[quote=“ChadM”]What happens when you do arm circles is you secrete synovial fluid from the synovial membrane in the synovial joint. The synovial fluid acts like a lube for your shoulder socket, lubricating the joint and connective tissue around it. The synovial fluid reduces friction and cushions these cartilages during movement.

So bakersdozen shoulder circles are good to do. That many of them seems like overkill, but if you arm is feeling better than ever keep at it.[/quote]

Dang ChadM, some good stuff there. Sounds like you know your way around the medical field. If you ever have the time, I made a log for myself asking the forum for help and advice in my off season training program. Your input would be greatly appreciated! As for some of you other big wigs out there head to the logs also!

so roger when you do arm circles your hand shouldnt go behind past the side of your body? so its basically like a half circle.

We still make circles. It’s just that the entire circle is in front of the plane of the body.

Doing arm circles with the scaps loaded (i.e. with the shoulders pinched together) is also good - helps strengthen the backside.