Arm angle and labrum tear

I recently heard bad news that I had a labrum tear. My docter suspects I had it for a while and explained the labrum is related to over head motion. If I were to switch to a lower arm angle either to low 3 quarters, side arm or submarine would it put less stress on my shoulder when I return to throwing?

AllstarBudda,

Sorry to hear this.

To learn how this injury is produced go to DrMikeMarshall.com!

There you will also learn in detail how to mitigate the pathomechanic that caused it!
I will explain to you in simple terms how this happens and how to avoid it in the future.

It is not the vertical orientation that causes the issue, in fact if we look at a video of you pitching or throwing you would display a flying away ball side Elbow, half way between vertical and horizontal drive? Having your Humerus actually move thru vertically is a help. Your problem is created long before that. You take the ball back by horizontally abducting your Humerus (lifting it and swinging the Elbow towards your back) out of alignment with your acromial line (shoulder line, tip to tip). This angle creates laxity anteriorily (front) (loosening ligaments) that is not felt when rotational drive starts, ligaments have no pain receptors. As this anterior laxity increase the angle increases to the point where when you turn on the gas your Pectoralis major contracts and pulls your humerus forwards by sliding the head of the Humerus forwards across it’s Fossa and crashing at the periphery (many pain receptors) of the Labrum.
Now the Humerus is pulled back into alignment then past the other way causing Laxity posteriorily (back) and upwards (slap) causing full round laxity and an unstable shoulder.

Mitigation; When pendulum swinging your arm back, keep the longitudinal axis of your Humerus in line with the acromial line and parallel with the field driveline (imaginary line running from the target thru the pitcher’s center mass) and as you transition your arm in outwards rotation (Humerus and Forearm) maintain centering of the head of the Humerus in it’s Fossa. When you recover your body for defense maintain Humeral shoulder alignment by trying to stick your hand in your back empty hand side pocket.

Video of Grienke’s transition alignment 5 years ago was really good.