Arm Anatomy Question

Well, I’m no expert, and I don’t really no biology or physiology or whatever this is, but I need help pinpointing a muscle.

Imagine that someone’s arm is extended straight out, and they are pinching their right armpit with their left hand. They feel that large muscle on their shoulder (deltoid?) but then there is a little muscle under it that is sort of pinched between their shoulder and you’re upper back/right scapula. It’s a small muscle that is sort of on the side/back of the shoulder.

Can anyone tell me this muscle? I’m a little sore their today and I’m trying to learn more about it.

What you are probably feeling is the upper portion of the latissimus dorsi muscle. It is actually a large muscle in your back that originates inpart on the lower six thoracic vertebrae and inserts on the humerus (upper arm bone). Part of its function is to medially rotate the arm. So it is a major muscle used in throwing. Thus, it would not be unusual to have soreness in this muscle after pitching.

Do you think you could get me like an anterior/just regular picture of the muscle just so I can confirm and see the muscle?

Type in latissimus dorsi muscle into your browser and you’ll get the info you are looking for.

It sounds more like your teres minor or teres major.

Here’s an interesting site for you.

Okay, I think it’s my latissimus dorsi or teres minor that is hurting. It might be the infraspinatus, but I don’t think so.

What does this say about my pitching?

It is hard to say for sure. Howerver, I’ll mention two things. First, if it is
the teres minor I’d be concerned about rotator cuff problems. Do exercises to strengthen the rotator cuff. If it’s the lats I’d work on using the body more to throw. You may be using too much arm. Or it could be just that you just twicked the muscle. Again it is hard to say.

Would the jobe exercises help?