Are all novices the same?

I blogged about the levels of trainees and how novices should train over on my site:

The biggest problem I see with workout programs (here and elsewhere) is that there are too many isolation-based exercises and no real clear goal of increasing the weight every time in the gym.

Novices should be on a compound-lift-centric program and should progress rapidly. Wasting time with things like curls, leg extensions, and lat pulldowns is a huge mistake.

I have a quick question for you. Right now all I work out with on my squat is 185 but I feel like I could do a lot more the only reason why I don’t go up is my dad doesn’t want me to because my dad doesn’t want me loading up my back. Should I increase my weight or stay where I’m at?

I’m 5’11 165 if that helps any.

[quote=“ZW#17”]I have a quick question for you. Right now all I work out with on my squat is 185 but I feel like I could do a lot more the only reason why I don’t go up is my dad doesn’t want me to because my dad doesn’t want me loading up my back. Should I increase my weight or stay where I’m at?

I’m 5’11 165 if that helps any.[/quote]

Yes. You should be loading your squat by 5 pounds every time you work out, assuming you’re on a 3x5 program.

I was on 5x6 until I read your force development post and then I switched to 3x10

There is no need for that. Get on a 3x5 program and increase the weight 5 lbs. per workout. There will be a time when DE sets (Force Development Training) is appropriate. That time is not now. Increase the weight until you cannot anymore or have problems recovering.

If you do this successfully, I’ll design an intermediate program for you. Free of charge. But you have to squat 3x5 three times a week and increase the weight every time.

Ok the only problem I have is I have to go to the local high school gym to lift and they’re only open three nights a week, usually Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. So I may not be able to do them 3 nights a week and give myself time to recover. But Ill do what I can and do 2 nights, I’ll increase it by 5 tonight and do 3x5 and let you know how it goes.

You cannot squat three days in a row. You need one day off, but having Wednesday until Monday off is going to be a huge problem. You need to figure a way to train on Friday. If you can’t, you are going to have serious problems progressing.

It pisses me off the gym isn’t open enough for me to do what I need to do. I have to fight them just to keep it open 3 nights a week, once my family saves up some money I’m going to get a membership to a private gym so I can go whenever I want. For now I guess I’ll have to do what ever I can. I usually do some body weight stuff when the gym isn’t open even though I know it doesn’t work near as well.

What if you’re trying to LOSE weight?

What if you’re trying to LOSE weight?

What if you’re trying to LOSE weight?[/quote]

By increase weight I meant increase the weight on the bar. It doesn’t matter if you’re trying to lose weight.

Oh my bad Kyle, I misread it.