Anyway to improve my curve?

i know how to throw it properly,it just doesnt have that huge break like everyones on here does.should i try throwing it higher???

iwatched that video and it helped me alot,but my break its 11-5 but not a huge break like i want it??
any tips?

I know it’s not taught this way, and from a physics perspective it’s probably disadvantageous, but on my breaking ball I tuck my thumb back into my palm… and I think this helps me keep the downnward pressure with my top two fingers … it just feels more comfortable, and the result I get is a sharper break.

Proper mechanics will let your release point happen out front where it should and that allows you to better get over the ball to put spin on it.

I have a video on how to throw a curveball, if your interested, give me a private message.

Tanner. I asked you one time along time ago in one of my posts, I was looking to improove my curveball, and you never sent me the video. Send it if you have time.

I’ve never seen a curveball thrown the way that is taught in that video. Most people have the middle finger on the seam for leverage.

I’ve tried it that way, and it isn’t as comfortable as my “regular” curve, which I grip with index finger above the seam and middle finger snugged up next to index finger. Either way, I do like the “rim” idea in the video, which a coach of mine called a “monk’s head” grip.

I’d guess there are just about as many grips as there are pitchers who throw curves, each developing a different take on what works for them. Try different grips until you find one that you feel confident in, then work on it regularly. I used two different grips, one near the wide part of the horseshoe for a big slow bender, and one at the narrow point between the horseshoes for a higher-velocity, last second curve with less break. On both, I would straddle the seam with my index and middle fingers.

Another good training method would be to practice throwing a hockey puck or taping 2 baseballs completely together and “softly” throwing a curve and watching the spin and just continually throw the puck or baseballs and watching the spin until you get the desired spin you want.

As Hoseman suggested, try different grips. Tom Seaver used at least two different grips on his curveball. Interestingly, Seaver also taught to use the middle finger as the “power” finger in creating the spin, yet he himself used the index finger (so again, everyone is different).

You may also want to try a grip similar to the four-seam fastball, where you have the middle (or index) finger riding along one seam (to pull) and then lining up your thumb against another seam to add some “push”.

Sometimes I have my students practice throwing a curveball using NO seams, then trying with seams. By not using any seams, you force yourself to use correct arm/wrist action to create the spin. Another thing I do is have the pitchers practice their curve with a short distance, one-knee drill using a softball. Again, to get the correct spin with the larger ball, you MUST use good mechanics.

And as someone else mentioned taping two balls together, you can try that, or, practice by throwing a taped-up, empty tennis ball can.