Anyone want to take a stab at this hitting video?

Both kids just finished their Freshman year. Both hit in the .350-.375 area.

See anything?

Watch the feet, both of them have rotational elements to the swing, and are squishing the bug to an extent. We know this is wrong.

Also, the second individual needs to quiet down his swing. Too many moving parts, too much movement with the eyes, and it makes it harder to hit. Just my two cents.

The first isn’t opening his hips. The swing is finishing with the front hip still turned in towards the plate.

Number two is dropping his back shoulder and then going to the ball.

First Hitter,

He’s shifting his weight forward with his stride. This will rob him of power and will make him vulnerable to change of speed pitches. He will have to hit off speed pitches with just his arms.

He should also not start with the elbow up. It should be pointing toward the ground. This will neutralize his severe forward canting of the bat. When he starts to swing he moves the elbow and bat into proper position, but that will not be possible against faster pitchers. If he compensates by striding earlier and has not corrected the forward weight shift problem, any fast pitcher with a decent change up will eat his lunch. If he starts with the elbow down, it will save him time reading the pitch and putting the proper swing on that specific pitch. Another problem with the back elbow up is that it flexes his bottom hand up, making it difficult to get the bat head around. I’ll bet he hits more than a few balls the other way when he’s facing a pitcher who mixes speeds well.

He has very good hip turn on most pitches, but I do see times where he’s not getting fully around. Could be that he’s just chasing bad pitches. It’s OK to let balls go by in BP if they are not good pitches.

At contact, freeze the video and look at his top hand, wrist, and forearm alignment. All three should be on the same plane. He seems to get into a weak wrist position on pitches that are thrown up at the top of his zone or slightly out of the zone. He should lay off those pitches in batting practice. He’s bleeding off power there because the wrist is not optimized to deliver all the power generated by the hip turn.

The frame rate is not sufficient to check for hip and shoulder separation.

Second batter,

He does a much better job keeping his weight back during his stride.
I don’t like the front foot coming in toward home plate. It gets his momentum moving across the plate instead of front to back. Once he’s got his front foot down, he seems to be in a position for decent plate coverage, but that movement toward the plate would make me think the inner third is where he may have some troubles. It would be interesting to see either a rear or front view of his swing. I’d like to check for forward lean of the upper half.
Based on what I see, I’d feed him a steady diet of sliders moving from the inner 1/3 to just off the plate inside. I would think that would give him some trouble.

The second hitter seems to generate more power in his swing and stays behind the bat better through contact.

Hitters who start with hands high and drop them, usually can’t catch up with middle in top of the zone fastballs either. So that may be another thing a pitcher might try to exploit.

Both seem to make solid contact when being thrown pitches of consistent speed and location in BP. With live arms, you may want to mix up what you throw them and see what you get.

Swings aren’t anywhere near as violent as they should be. You have to make it a habit to swing hard and quick.

Both players have posture issues which cause disconnection and reaching with the hands. There is also very little momentum generated by the the first player.